Prince of Wales, Clapham Common

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
Located in Clapham Old Town with a view over the bus park, this is one of those pubs that induces atmosphere by hanging an extraordinary range of tat from the ceiling. The Prince of Wales is still a busy little boozer that's neither too down-market nor too pretentious. Just how many pubs sport a buffalo's head on the wall? On our last visit we spotted some new ales on hand pumps, though the Hoegaarden always proves too strong a pull in the summer, and the Guinness in winter so the ale remains untried. This is by no means the worst pub in this neck of the woods, and is ideal for a quiet natter. There's also some outside seating where you can watch Clapham and the odd omnibus do their stuff.
08 Oct 2011
I met the most unusual crowd here. It's like an ageing punk rockers pub. In ended up chatting with a rather cool pierced bar fly one night who turned out to be the lead singer of an obscure rock band Altered States. Next thing I know he's introducing me to ex and current members of the Pretenders and Rob from Alabama3. I thought wow what a cool mad crowd, then my girlfriend comes up to me all excited saying she had just spoken to Vivian Westwood and her dog and that Ross Kemp was outside having an drunken argument with his mate. The cherry on the cake for me was when page 3 model, although a bit unearthly orange, Jodie Marsh walked in with a load of her look alike friends. It was quite a mad place and well worth checking out if you want to see a few old rockers, tv celebs, eccentric Vivian and if you are lucky a few barely dressed glamour models. The only thing that was missing was some footballers!

38 Old Town, Clapham Common, London, SW4 0LB