Project Orange, Clapham Junction

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
We thought Clapham Junction was a never-ending parade of chain bars and blokes' boozers. There's nothing wrong with a light sprinkling of them, but where are the alternatives? Well, this probably the best you're going to do. Despite close proximity to the train station, it's just far enough away - and the exterior anonymous enough - to be missed by the hordes. Essentially this is an indie bar, aiming at trendy 18-35 year olds. When we say 'trendy', we mean like a less pretentious Hoxton, rather than Leicester Square; those who like All Bar One will hate it here. Fashionable bands adorn the windows written in what looked like powder paints and for unknown reasons the lighting inside was predominantly green, probably to help with the camouflage netting strung in various places around the bar (one of our friends thought it was going to have a Vietnam theme until we reminded him that was Agent orange). Music is pretty eclectic, but usually stays close to the the rock and indie end of the spectrum, which a basement lounge offers live bands and comedy nights. Beer is predominantly euro-lager but the lovely Battersea Brewery's Porter in bottles, was good to see. Notwithstanding the lack of competition, this is one of best venues in the area.
05 Aug 2009
Went to Clapham Junction last night on a recon mission to find the most appropriate bar to go on Friday night with friends over from Ireland.

I have to say of the six bars we visited, Project Orange was by far my favourite.

Seriously quirky and odd, unlike any bar I’ve been in in London. I suppose it could be the illegitimate pub-child of The Intrepid Fox and a hash bar in Amsterdam called Rick’s Café. With a lot of green lighting, dodgy bad-trip murals and pot plants.

It was quiet but then it was a Tuesday. Got served instantly. Drinks average price. Music was excellent (Red Hot Chilli Peppers/ Beck). I didn’t want to leave!

It’s the sort of bar I’d go to in California and say “if only they had bars like this in London”. Might not be to everyone’s taste (girls with Gucci bags will not like it!) but I will definitely be returning – probably this Friday!

43 St. Johns Hill, Clapham Junction, London, SW11 1TT