Proud, Camden

Our rating: FAP Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
In line with the continuing, seemingly unstoppable, historical destruction of Camden Market, At Proud had to move from it's enviable rooftop position and has relocated to what was once the Stables antique market. A former Victorian horse hospital and stables, they've kept a fair bit of the equine related architecture which graces this building and there is - like before - a drinking area, gallery space and gig venue. An outside space at the top end of the stables block is practical enough but can't complete with the views it could once boast. Drinking here is certainly quite different to the norm - the individual stables have become compartmentalised drinking dens. The closest equivalent would be the Horse Hospital arts venue in Russell Square. Only Monday and Sundays provide free entry, sadly, with the breadth of events warranting a modest door charge; everyday you'll find something taking place, with live music and DJs usually in action while you can get your fill of culture is the adjacent 'Proud' gallery. Coming here is certainly impressive, but in a sign of the times also bears witness to an excess of heavy sponsorship from a number of alcohol-related companies (who aren't going to get free advertising from us). It loses significant points however, for the terrible service dished out by the pretty things behind the bar, an unnessarily rude door policy and the fact that finding an unreserved table is nigh-on impossible. 5/5 for the concept, 1/5 for the execution.
13 Dec 2009
Proud-is-great; it really is so utterly refreshing after the multitude of what attempt to be ‘trendy’ bars, who are all devoid of atmosphere and identical to each other as they slap on some ‘contemporary’ wall paper, use horrible blue led lights to create an illusion of style, and charge you ludicrous amounts of cash for a dismally mediocre glass of wine as the staff look on with that whiff of unjustified superiority. We’ve all been there. Proud has its own unique exciting, and genuine identity, and with friendly (and good looking) staff, great up and coming bands, and room to dance like a lunatic, it makes for a really good night out. Also, getting on the guest list is great (just phone up) and means you can skip ahead of the queue. Great when you’ve dressed in something completely inappropriate for the typical British weather as it means minimal time in the cold shivering!
09 Dec 2009
Been to Proud couple of times and was surprised on how busy the Friday nights get! There was some random (but great) performers from the crazy circus? And the lifesize animals in the venue! Followed on saturday for a quick drink, which ended up in a long night as the atmosphere buzzed up so well. Coming back mid week to see how busy it gets then!
08 Dec 2009
I had the best evening at Proud Cabaret. I was wined, dined and throughly entertained! I had a really good meal of three courses, that was a really reasonable price. The entertainment was cira 1930's glamour, a top class burlesque show that made me wish I held the same talent! I arrived home feeling like i had been transported from a different era!
04 Dec 2009
I love Proud Camden - it is defintely my favourite venue in London.

I don't think i have ever had a bad night and the new Tales of the Unexpected on a Friday is fantastic, don't miss out!

if you want to dance all night in a great atmosphere with life size zebras and stilt walkers then this is the night for you. I love the "uniqueness" of the stables and my friends and I regularly book these for birthday celebrations. Make sure you get your dancing feet down there - this is the place to be seen.
04 Dec 2009
Proud Camden is the very epitomy of cool. They just cant go wrong it seems. I went to the best gig Ihave ever been to the other week when I saw Bbayshambles at Smash and Grab. The venue is amazing - decent priced drinks, very friendly (and handsome!) staff and top sound system. Its obvious why in these hard times Proud is just getting bigger and bigger.....rock on
04 Sep 2009
Proud is a lovely venue... everytime i go it's a different sort of night with really good bands and DJs. I had my birthday in a stable this year and got all my friends in free on a guestlist which was cool because we all got to jump the queue. Good for people watching, dancing and catching that band right before they hit it big time!

Horse Hospital, Camden, London, NW1 8AH