Pub on the Park, Hackney

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
The Pub on the Park's prominent placement within London Fields, is both this pub's key feature and its Achilles' heel. On a weekday in summer it's a nice enough place to be. It's a simple, straightforward local. There are a few real ales (unfortunately only a couple on the five hand hand pumps on our last visit), a few continental beers, lagers wines and spirits and a pretty good food (and reasonably-priced) menu. Although the pub's in a Victorian building, it's an open, airy sort of place, especially when it's warm enough to throw the windows and doors open and, with the terrace looking out over the park, there's usually plenty of room. Weekends, especially bank holiday weekends, it's the usual story with the pub getting pretty crowded and the usual slow service you get here, becoming even slower. On the plus side, when it is busy, you can get your drink in a plastic and sit in the park. But then of course you're no longer in the pub. Also on the plus side are the summer barbecues, plenty screens for the TV sport and Sunday roasts - if you're prepared to wait. The Pub on the Park is a bit of a mixed bag, excellent at times, frustrating at others and a welcome respite from the relentless gastroism of many other pubs around here.
13 Jul 2010
I live near the pub and went in on Monday evening. I have been informed that it has been taken over by new management. This was clearly visible as the place was buzzing with a great atmosphere.. All the new staff and managerss where so nice and the bbq outside was great. The food has improved according to my friend who called in for lunch. Smashing place to go now..Looking forward to plenty of sunny days in this place!
09 Jul 2010
Stumbled across this pub on a work visit to hackney and i have to say it was really good. Staff are really friendly and chatty, food was prompt and tasted great! Would definately go there again! 10/10
01 Sep 2009
some of the staff here are lovely.

most however are either poor, or just plain rude.

The toilets are as bad as any pub in london, the food is bad, the beer is overpriced and half the chairs are broken.
11 May 2008
In summer 2007 I visited the the Pub On The Park, Hackney. I was quite unsatisfied with the food, mainly due to the amount. Otherwise it was OK, nothing special though. Today I took my son for a sunday roast. I was disgusted not only with the food but with the management's reaction. The food was overcooked and quite disgusting. The potatoes were black! When I complained the proprietor just sneered and offered nothing in the way of an apology. We had paid when we ordered so we were well roasted! If you want my opinion I wouldn't feed their food to a dog. I went for a treat and left furious. We then cycled across the park to Broadway market where we found the food at the pub on the corner GREATLY superior, oh and edible. I say, if you are hungry avoid the Pub On the Park like the plague. If you think I am being unfair - go eat there. xx

19 Martello Street, Hackney, London, E8 3PE
Opening times
Mon-Thu: 11am — 12am
Fri-Sat: 11am — 1am
Sun: 12pm — 11pm

Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

BBQ

Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Overview

Looking out over London Fields, the pub has large outdoor decking areas. Inside, it's bright and cosy. Downstairs there's an all-new room available for parties and events. Upstairs, there's also a lounge-like function room.

Detailed Description

The iconic pub on the park has been given a new breath of life from July 2010, with a fresh and improved selection of beers, wines and spirits, a revolving food menu using only fresh ingredients, and a loving way with what must be the one of the biggest beer gardens this side of London Town.

We aim to restore the former Queen Eleanor to its undisputed position as the place to drink, eat and be serene this side of London Fields. With a friendly and no-messing approach to serving, a constantly updated music playlist, outside barbeques in the summer months, and £11 roasts on chilly winter Sundays, cosy couches, free wi-fi, good coffee, and mags galore to read, we’re sure you’ll agree that Pub on the Park will be your home from home once you cross her welcoming threshold.

We have all the major sporting events covered too, with three screens — one playing to the crowds in the garden. Being just three minutes walk from the Hackney Empire or Ocean makes us the ideal meeting place before a concert, gig or other event. And Columbia Road and Brick Lane markets are located nearby, should the desire to imbibe in a flea market purchase take your fancy.

We have resident DJs at the weekends shuffling through their determinedly hefty collections of sounds and, as we’re child- and pet-friendly, we know you’re thinking “surely, the only thing that could top that lot would be a floodlit boules court next to the boozer”? Well, we got that too!

For bookings large or small, call 020 7923 3398 and ask for Kenny.

Documents