Railway Bell, Norwood

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Halfway down one of the slopes of Sydenham Hill and boasting a first-rate view of the TV transmitter, you will find The Railway Bell. It certainly lives up to its name; there are pictures, books, and models of locomotives ornamenting most available surfaces. Also a fish-tank. Aside from the train theme, this is a cosy Young's pub of the traditional local variety, including the beer which is up to their usual standards. It isn't massive, and has a slightly unusual shape around the bar, but there is plenty of seating to cope with quieter periods. On a previous visit, we found this one very crowded (and had a lengthy wait for our Sunday lunch) but this time round we found it more amenable. Despite being down a steep hill and sometimes busy, it's still probably the best bet for a quality pint near the centre of Crystal Palace.
30 Apr 2010
Hmmm...a mate of mine who has almost 40 years more experience than me of assessing decent pubs has, after 25 years in the district, recently given up the Albert in favour of the Railway bell.

Now, this is a man who had spent 20 years as a regular in The Albert. His view-the Albert has gone downhill dramatically in recent years-a clientelle of drunks with foul mouths, and lime green paint replacing wooden panneling. He suggested I try the Railway Bell instead as it was "an nice, decent Youngs Pub...you'd like it".

Well...I did. I honestly find it hard to believe this got only 2 pints from pub-pooter. There are really awful, characterless pubs on our site here with 2 pints. Let me assure you, this is a decent pub, with a decent customer base. That's worth 3 pints before you start, in my book. Give it try-if you can face the hill it's well worth a visit.
29 Mar 2010
Excellent beer, current landlady keeps and serves an excellent pint of youngs.

Landlord bit of a tosser though, but always there. Get rid of him and some of his pond life friends
17 Nov 2009
Never the same after Ron and Peggy left.

Roger.