Roots at N1 (ex-The Cuckoo, ex The Huntingdon), Barnsbury

Our rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)

our final review

posted by redcat on 21/04/2011

last rating: last rating: 2.png

When it comes to pubs, there's usually a clear demarcation line between upmarket Barnsbury and nearby old-school Caledonian Road. However, the Huntingdon throws this concept into doubt. From the outside it's a wonderful looking building, very much in keeping with the local area. As such, it was a disappointment to discover the inside to be a dated, pine-laden corporate brewery refit, devoid of flair or imagination. Still, what this pub did have on our early evening visit was a group of resolutely unpretentious locals and an equally unpretentious atmosphere. The bar staff and regulars were on first name terms, but not to the detriment of unfamiliar faces and the service was first-class; it's the first time we've had our packet of crisps cut open for us to enable easy sharing. If you happen to be in Barnsbury and the Hemingford Arms seems too cliquey and the Drapers Arms too much like a restaurant, you could do worse than a couple of pints here.

Probably a little too off the beaten track, the Cuckoo only lasted two years before becoming an Indian restaurant. Only the Hemingford Arms remains in this part of Islington.

10 Nov 2009
I discovered the Cuckoo pretty much by mistake a year ago, and after a drink there vowed never to return. Then someone told me it was under new management, so I gave it another try...

FANTASTIC!!! all the posh wine-bar-ish-ness has gone and it is now a proper pub again.

The beer is perfectly kept, very clean and cold, (unlike some of the neighboring pubs!) with 6 draught lagers, 2 decent ales, Guinness and cider to choose from.

There's a great selection of Spirits and Liqures (definitely one for the wiskey drinker).

The food menu is simple, no nonsense, home cooked food.

One of the staff explained to me that all the fresh ingredients can be traced back to farm/grower.

I'm going to go there on Sunday as some of the regulars told me it's the best roast they have ever had.

I'm so glad I went back to the Cuckoo, and will be returning frequently.
10 Jan 2009
My boyfriend and I are from australia and have been visiting this local pub for two weeks now. We love the atmosphere, great food and the bar staff are lovely. thoroughly recommended. What a pleasant surprise!
01 Jan 2009
This recently refurbished pub (now called the Cuckoo) is currently my favourite in the area. The staff are friendly, the beer is good and the food is simple but very nice. I can't recommend this place enough.

115 Hemingford Road, Barnsbury, London, N1 1BZ