Royal Exchange, Paddington

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
A long time ago, when we didn't know any better, we would often arrive at Paddington after a long journey and wonder where on earth we could go for a decent pint before the pubs closed. And we'd end up in a pretty dismal sort of place, only because it was the only pub sign we could see, beckoning us from the station. If only we'd known about the Royal Exchange. A five minute walk away from Paddington Station gets you to a fine, traditional boozer of the old school. Serving real ales, hot and cold Guinness, Murphy's and a bunch of other traditional tipples, this place is a real down-to-earth, honest pub. The atmosphere is friendly, as is the service, the food is proper pub grub and the pub hasn't been renovated to within an inch of its former life. If you want to visit an example of a pub as they used to be (and as some of us remember them), you'd better get here, before someone decides it's worth "improving".
17 Jan 2019
We called in for a drink I ordered a wine but my 2 boys didn’t want a drink .
We sat down and the landlord took my wine of me gave me my 6 pounds back and asked us to leave .
He said quote I carnt afford to have people like you in my pub my rent is 500 hundred a week .
We went to another pub and spent the night there by this time the boys were in a mood for a few drinks .
We are from Australia and find this behaviour very strange .
He is the rudest prick I have ever met as I am a 46 year old mum I am used to being treated with respect .
There was only 5 people in the pub how he stays in business with a attitude like this I will never know .
Nasty experience which left bitter taste !!
17 Jan 2019
Were asked to leave as my 2 boys weren’t drinking .
Landlord took my wine off me and gave me my 6 pounds back .
He said his rent was 500 a week and he could not afford to have us in his pub .
Very strange we went to another pub and spent the night and a few hundred there instead.
27 Jan 2012
The Royal Exchange is a small, old style pub, situated just off the Edgeware Road, but a world away from the standard offering in that part of Town. I popped in for one quick pint, but the bitter tasted so fresh I felt obliged to stay for 2 more. They serve a variety of well filled sandwiches, the salt beef was very good, and the hot food looked wholesome rather than master chef. One final bonus, the prices are pretty reasonable for London - £7 for a pint and a sandwich.
16 Apr 2009
Visited 4/4/09 - Brakspear bitter and Greene King IPA on cask - both very good. Food is excellent - eespecially the roasts, and the Steak & Murphy's Pie! Prices for both food and beer are very fair, especially for London (food is under 5 quid). Staff friendly and attentive, but not "chatty". Customers were also friendly!

We liked it so much we went back the following evening!
25 Dec 2008
visited 24/12/08. Ansells cider on draught with doorstep beef sandwiches - absolutely top draw and surely one of the top ten pubs in London - locals friendly and bar staff excellent -

26 Sale Place, Lancaster Gate, London, W2 1PU
Opening times
11am to 11pm daily.
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Curry night

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

The Royal Exchange is a traditional London pub.  Established in 1820 this freehouse offers traditions ales and ciders as well as lagers and a fine selection of spirits.