Royal Oak, Shoreditch

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Anyone who's been to Columbia Road flower market will have seen this pub. Architecturally, although it's in a between-the-wars style, it fits perfectly well with the Victorian surroundings (and we think we've seen it on the telly a good few times, it's that kind of location) and inside there's a lot of the old style panelling left (complete with Truman livery) and a wonderful glazed suspended ceiling. In a nod to its nearly gentrified location, there's the usual exposed floorboards, along with a mishmash of old wooden and squashy furniture to attract the younger locals. There's also a couple of decently kept beers on the hand pumps, a decent range of wines and an oddly shaped back yard, understandably popular with the smokers. The food seems a bit pricey - at 9 for a full English breakfast (handy on a cold Sunday at the flower market) the quality would have to be excellent for it to be forgivable. Still, not a bad place at all and further evidence of the Capital's wealth creeping eastwards (and not just leaping to straight to Essex).
10 Jan 2010
Umm interesting reading the comments... I only wished I'd of read these reviews before eating at this awful place. So awful infact that it has made me want to comment on this site. I was looking forward to having a roast dinner and catching up with friends, but it turned out to be runined! The roast was just OK (I'm being very kind), well over priced at £14.50. The beef was full of fat and the yorkshire's were rock solid. The best was the staff... Oh my god. Where do they get people like that from?? Who employed them? TERRIBLE, SHOCKING...The manager was the worst. He was rude from the start. The bill was inacurate, which if the food had been nice and the service been good, we would have just paid the extra bit that they'd stuck on, but when we mentioned to the manager that our bill was innacurate, he said that we simply hadn't spent enough money! What's happened to customer service? Very, very disapointing. My friends and I will never step foot in there again! That was the worst lunch experience I have ever had.
15 Oct 2009
Horrible, horrible staff, so rude and up their own behinds. They need to get over themselves, it's just a boozer in the east end!! Will be taking my custom elsewhere.
25 Jan 2009
I have never been served burnt, cold spaghetti before. Waiting staff need a crash course in customer service. As for the "chef".....
20 Dec 2008
A year on and the staff remain the same with a level of coldness of a similar temperature as your Yorkshire puds. Shame as it's a great venue.

73 Columbia Road, Shoreditch, London, E2 7RG