Sebright Arms, Bethnal Green

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
The Sebright Arms is a pub with a fantastic history dating back over almost 200 years. As a music hall turned pub and gig venue, it too faced demolition until a locally backed campaign saved it. It is not surprising that it would be a pub in this sort of predicament. Despite its notoriety, it’s position down an alleyway in a part of east London not fantastically serviced by the over and underground network would mean it has to work harder to earn its trade.
My visit, on a cold Wednesday evening, happily finds the Sebright Arms packed o the rafters. An important Champions League match is on but, without televisions, the Sebright does not need this to draw its crowd.
Upstairs punters are spolit by a myriad of beer choices. Abundant varieties of Pale Ale (such as Brooklyn East India), Golden & Amber (such as Goose Island Honkers), stouts such as (Bristol milk) and Wheat (such as Erdinger) are on offer. I add brands in brackets to demonstrate that quality matches the quantity here. I plumb for Sambrook Pale Ale and it is a treat, especially as my party partake in burgers provided by Lucky Chip collective, who find themselves at the vanguard of the foodie scene.
The ambiance in the upstairs bar is that of a traditional pub. It retains many features that would allow drinkers of all ages to feel comfortable in. Seats are in regular supply and annexes provide privacy if required.
A scouting mission leads me downstairs to a music venue I can’t even get into, due to being packed to the rafters.
If pubs are looking at bucking the trend and being successful, they would do well to take a leaf out of the Sebright Arms’ book. Quality drinks and food available in convivial environs, with decent entertainment to match.
20 Dec 2011
From the outside you may not expect much but once you go in you'll realise this is one of the best pubs in the area now, even after the short time its been open. retro but cool interior along with a great selection of unique beers and ciders you can see why its fast becoming a trendys hangout. we stubbled upon a great band playing the night we went, Hunting Party i think they were, and with some sublime food topped off a great evening. me and my crowd will definitely be back.
18 Dec 2011
Arranged to meet up here with some friends for my birthday and was a great choice. Although it was busy there was plenty of space and good service at the bar. I thought the beers tasted great, and the music was spot on. Since then I've been back a couple of times and never been disappointed. Sunday roast is a must.
04 Dec 2011
Really glad to see The Sebright is open again and with new management. i love this pub.

34 Coate St, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9AG
Opening times
Mon-Wed 5pm-11pm
Thurs-Sat - 5pm - 12am
Sunday - 12pm-10.30pm
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Cabaret Night

Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Overview

The Sebright Arms is a traditional pub and eclectic venue showcasing amazing new bands, established Artists, local talent, comedians and Cabaret Artists. The 150 capacity downstairs venue boasts an excellent PA and light system and a large stage. We work with outside promoters such as Eat Your Own Ears, Artrocker and Bird on the Wire as well as putting on anything we love ourselves. So far we have had DJ sets from Florence and The Machine, Tribes, The Broken Hearts and Girlcore and live performances from Cibelle and I.R.O.K. We have the fantastic David Mills running a comedy night every Monday and the House of Hot Breath doing their Karaoke and TV quiz night fortnightly, which is streamed live on the Internet.

Detailed Description

The pub currently features a pop up restaurant from Lucky Chip. London's cult and best burger company. get one while you can!

We have a great range of ales and ciders, focusing mainly on London brewers. We are the only pub to sell London Fields brewery Ales on draft http://www.londonfieldsbrewery.co.uk/. we also sell Brodies http://brodiesbeers.co.uk/home/ , Sambrooks http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/ , Meantime http://www.meantimebrewing.com/ and traditional still draft cider and Perry from Herefordshire http://www.theolivers.org.uk/page4.html