Shepherds Tavern, Shepherd Market

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Built in 1735 as part of the original redevelopment of the area by Edward Shepherd (after the original May fair was moved to Bow in 1686), Shepherds Tavern is a handsome feature in the Shepherd Market landscape. Inside, it's somewhat less authentic, relatively recently updated to accommodate M&B's Taylor Walker rebranding, nevertheless, it's still a reasonable pub. There are four, Cask Marque ales on the hand pumps, including Young's bitter and Spitfire, the usual lagers, Guinness etc on tap and a shortish wine list. The service is fast, professional, friendly and deals well with the periodic influxes of visitors. There's big screen sport on the TV - including Sky and there's plenty of pub grub, including sharing platters, fish and chips, burgers etc. Of the pubs in the area, the Shepherds Tavern is the pub favoured by people from overseas who live round here and tourists and as a result it's often the quietest. It seems the local office office workers prefer the others. There's nothing particularly amiss with this pub, we guess it's just habit.
04 Dec 2011
As the reviewer describes, a nice pub with some well kept ales, but a recent experience trying to order food leaves me wondering whether I'll go back there anytime soon. After waiting for the best part of an hour our food still hadn't arrived, despite several promises from the bar staff that we were next and worse, they couldn't give us any idea of when the food would arrive. When challenged the barman became aggressive, refusing to accept any resonsibility and blaming the fact they had only 1 member of kitchen staff - apparently having a pub full of people on a saturday afternoon 3 weeks before xmas was not expected so they were under-staffed. Whilst appreciating their difficulties, we were not told of any potential delay when ordering and received no apology - their only saving grace was a full refund given with no questions asked.

So whilst I may stop by for a quick pint sometime to see if the service has improved, I doub't I'll be going back for food anytime soon!

ps I don't think they have Sky sports anymore
27 Sep 2011
During the Second World War was the favorite pub of the members of the RAF. A lovely place to drink beer and talk. Nice neighborhood.

50 Hertford Street, Shepherd Market, London, W1J 7ST