Shipwright's Arms, London Bridge

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
Perched on a busy street in an area teeming with redevelopment, our previous review of the Shipwright's Arms wondered if, and how, the pub would cope with such change. Perhaps we needn't have worried. The pub's been smartened up (lick of paint, hanging baskets etc.) and looks primed to take advantage of the area's new prosperity. The handsome exterior really stands out amongst the nearby brick warehouses and glitzy new buildings. Its spare interior is dominated by a bar in the centre and the walls are decorated with nautical pictures and ephemera. All this makes a refreshing antidote to the notions of Tabard Square, Bermondsey Village and so on which are being touted just now. This area has plenty of good boozers to choose from - here's another one you should try.
05 Feb 2015
I have never written a review before but I was so disgusted by this pub that I have been inspired. The staff were almost unbelievably obnoxious! We were speaking in Spanish in the pub and when my friend approached the bar the barmaid was rude from the off, with 'and what do you want?'. She went on to be surly, unaccommodating; accompanied by a great deal of eye-rolling and tutting. They seemed paranoid and at great discomfort that we were speaking Spanish; I can only assume it was due to this, because they didn't seem to treat any of the other punters like this.

I was very shocked by this woman's behaviour and I must have been subconsciously looking at her with a look of bemusement because she charged over and yelled that she doesn't have to have people looking at her like that in her pub 'put you're coat on, you're leaving!'. She proceeded to provide us with a plastic cup to pour the beer (that my friend had only just bought) into, then haphazardly poured the beer into this, whilst spilling at least a third over the table. Perhaps at the highest extent of 'giving the benefit of the doubt' that I can muster this could be attributed to poor motor coordination... but I think this is unlikely. And with this, off we went.

I am still dumb-founded at our treatment in this pub, I don't think the rankings facilitate a low enough ranking for this woman, the establishment and it's manager (who we also had the upmost delight to meet who seemed to limit herself as far as I could see to lolling around, rolling cigarettes at the bar and scowling. She concurred that we should make a hasty exit from the establishment as we were no longer welcome - for some not entirely clear reason - but that we shouldn't be looking at her staff like that. - next time I will be sure to face outrageous disrespect and what I personally believe to be entrenched racism with my most gleaming smile.

Avoid this pub like the plague!!
03 Apr 2014
Do not go here, rude staff told me to leave as I looked round for my friend as they believed I was going to use their facilities and then leave. In the end I did leave as I felt staff were extremely rude and uptight, not what you want from a pub at all. Also as I would have been a paying customer I had a right to use the facilities had I needed and they missed out on my business. Worst pub I've ever been to
03 Apr 2014
05 Jul 2012
This is an awful pub. The staff are rude and aggressive mainly the rotund woman with glasses who clearly knows nothing about the wine she is serving customers. I work a local office and my colleagues feel the same and have stopped drinking here as they top up your pint from the slop trays. Given how terrible this I would suggest everybody avoids it like the plague.
17 May 2012
Refused tap water with a meal by rude Manageress. (Despite the amendments to the Mandatory Licensing Conditions, April 2010, requiring her to do so).
Staff lovely - shame about the people running it.
My advice is avoid – lot of lovely places to go in London Bridge.

88 Tooley Street, London Bridge, London, SE1 2TF