Southampton Arms, Kentish Town

Our rating: FAP Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (10 reviews)
Having been open in its new guise since late 2009 now, we can barely remember what the old Southampton Arms was like anymore. This pub has it all: friendly staff, a wide cross-section of locals and one of the best beer selections you'll find in London (and that's with strong competition). There are at least ten ales on tap and almost as many ciders, all of them stemming from independent brewers around the UK. You'll find no big breweries or mass produced lager here. The decor is simple - lit by bare light bulbs with an (original) scrubbed-back tiled wall behind the bar and a real fire for the winter nights. It's a pub scaled back to the core elements: good beer, minimal interior and simple pub food (massive Scotch eggs, pork pies etc). A small affair, but a fine one all the same - and it's hard not to warm to a pub where the music comes courtesy of a record player behind the bar. Its popularity is spreading, so weekends are pretty busy, so come early if you want a seat. While a number of other beer-led pubs are popping up around London (with some directly influenced by the Southampton) this is still cream of the crop. *NEWSFLASH* It was awarded CAMRA Best Regional Pub for 2011. Congratulations!
29 Dec 2011
visiting for the first time I was transported to a golden age,when many pubs were just like this.The fact is:this is a superb pub offering a glorious selection of fine ales - inc,happily,one of my favourites,Dark Star pale ale.
29 Nov 2011
Tremdous pub, love the scotch eggs (vegetarian) only wish it had more room but not really the pubs fault but i like a sit down or at least elbow room. Ale was superb by the way!!
18 Jun 2011
A simply marvellous pub. The atmosphere is sociable, warm and friendly. The beer is excellent. The decor tasteful and inviting. This is a pub that has had genuine care and thought lavished on it, and it shows. One of those pubs where you pop in for one, but just can't bring yourself to move on because its hard to imagine many other pubs getting it quite so spot on. A genuine contender for the title of best pub in London.
25 Nov 2010
Echo the sentiments below. A real gem and the pork produce was excellent. Popped in here prior to a gig at the Forum and wished I'd stayed. If God existed then All-Bar-One's would be like this pub, til then go here and support this fine boozer.
27 Oct 2010
This place is excellent. Almost too good to be true. A proper pub. I'm struggling to find anything bad to say about it. There is no lager and at times it can look like a bit of a beardy CAMRA meeting, but as I don't drink much lager and have a beard this doesn't bother me much. It's a bit scruffy? Get to All Bar One instead then. The friendliness and enthusiasm of the bar staff is infectious and the unpretentious bar snacks are very tasty and then there is all that lovely beer! I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I hope they make a big success of this place and that others bravely follow their lead.
16 Apr 2010
Visited this fine boozer a few weeks ago. Make sure you allow at least three hours.. Intended to stay for just a couple, but it was just too exciting. The range of beers are one thing, but the ciders are something else. Great staff too!
19 Feb 2010
Very nice establishment I took some clients here and was perfect for what I needed. They have a Large room upstairs which catered for our needs.

The food was superb and the Beer went down easily, Highly recommended!!
11 Jan 2010
Yeah, it's completely changed. All the old clientèle have gone and it's brilliant. Amazing independent ciders and ales and a friendly landlord. I love it.
30 Dec 2009
This pub has been done up recently. Its now got a wide range of ales and ciders on tap. They do snacks; pork pies, scotch eggs, meat bap ...

I like it.