Spanish Galleon, Greenwich

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
Currently undergoing a refurb - the scaffolding is coming down, so we expect it will be open again soon. Even the most unobservant will find this place, bang opposite one of the exits to the DLR, yet, curiously, until relatively recently, this place was largely ignored by the people who throng the area day and night. However, the Spanish Galleon's apparent unpopularity now seems to be a thing of the past. Where once it used to be the place for a spot of quietish refreshment, it's now elbow to elbow with people yelling at each other and the bar staff, especially on Friday and Saturday night. The beer and food has not changed much, it's Shepherd Neame after all, but alas, the food's not really of the quality we've come to expect of their pubs. We suppose nowadays it doesn't really need to try, the competition in these parts certainly doesn't seem to - the name of the game is to bang it out as quickly as possible to the punters. Par for the course around here.
26 Mar 2012
I was in London on business which sadly kept me away from pubs until my last night - a Thursday night. I walked down the street from my hotel to the Spanish Galleon, hoping to meet up with some colleagues who had long since moved on. The pub was quiet and I was able to engage in a nice conversation with the bartender. He introduced me to Spitfire and Bishop's Finger, which I enjoyed tremendously. I'm a big fan of real ale, but in all honesty it's tough to determine the subtle differences when you only get to London once or twice a year. That said, I think I preferred the Bishop's Finger. The kitchen was apparently being closed down, but on an appeal they found a way to get me some fish and chips. Overall, I liked the convenience of the pub. The decor was nice. And, the service was outstanding. I'll likely visit again on a future trip.

48 Greenwich Church Street, Greenwich, London, SE10 9BL