Spurstowe Arms, Hackney

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
There's been a change of management here and something of a refurbishment, the bare-brick walls have been plastered and painted, the hokey 1930's living room light fittings have gone and, overall, there's been a general tidy-up. Along with the refurbishment, it seems there's been a move upmarket - the drink is pricier (although not noticeably of higher quality, it was pretty decent before) and the menu definitely more expensive and sporting such exotica as salt beef hash. The atmosphere feels much the same as before, pretty relaxed and as we said earlier, the drink and food is OK, with decent ales on the hand pumps, a good selection of other beers and a pretty fair wine list. The service is friendly enough, but not exactly lightning-fast, even when it's quiet. One final note - we're not sure what to call the pub right now, mystifyingly, the pub's name has been removed from the facade and the menus on every table contained no clues, simply a list of dishes and prices. Anyway, whatever it's called (we'll stick to calling it the Spurstowe for now), this pub is OK for a quietish pint or two and some decent food, provided you've got the wallet to accommodate the bill.
17 Aug 2008
I have just had the most DISGUSTING food I have ever experienced in a pub in the Spurstowe arms. I ordered the smoke Salmon and scrambled egg brunch and the salmon tasted like it had been sitting in a plastic bag and covered in oil for 2 weeks. It was rancid! The egg was not much better and a pitiful amount. My 5 friends all had the English breakfast and for 8.50 a go - one piece of scraggy bacon, a sausage, a burnt piece of toast and a tomato was certainly not worth the money! I will never, ever go back to this pub and I would not recommend it to anyone. Although the girls behind the bar were nice, the man (possibly the manager) was less than apologetic or helpful and sent us on our way when we complained about the salmon. DO NOT EAT HERE!!!!!

68 Greenwood Road, Hackney, London, E8 1AB