Stag & Hounds, Edmonton

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Ember Inns pubs usually find themselves located in obscure, numerically high London Travelcard zones, but coming across one here was a still surprise. In the quiet outskirts of Bush Hill Park this is a disproportionately large pub, fitted out in a standard corporate pub renovation style. There's cheap and plentiful food, a good choice of ales, efficient service and numerous tastefully decorated areas to sit; you can bring an elderly aunt here without undue concern and on our Sunday visit was pleasantly busy, filled with nice, polite drinkers. Only trouble is, the atmosphere is like a health and safety seminar in a two star travel tavern: worthy but tedious. A whole evening here might drive you to distraction.
28 Aug 2013
60 years old and I have had probably my worst ever pub experience in this pub today.
1) the first pint was poor but I tolerated it
2) waited at the bar for another round with no one else at bar, however the bar maid then walked right by me without a glance and served a guy who had just walked to the bar there were only 2 of us. I didn't make a fuss about it.
3) she then having served him walked back past me and was about to serve my friend who had by this time arrived at the bar when I managed to get in, very politely but no apology was made.
4) the beer I ordered was totally undrinkable it tasted like bisto when it should have been Broadside and was very dark.
5) I returned to the bar with it having to wait again and when I mentioned this was either the wrong beer or The broadside was off I got a sullen look as if I was causing them trouble.
6) she then mentioned this to the other girl who had originally served me who said 'didnt you want this one' ( pedigree) I said no I had asked for Broadside and assumed therefore she had simply poured from the wrong pump, not that pedigree is anything like what I was served.
7) not one apology if anything indeed it was like I was causing them trouble for causing a fuss.
8) she poured a pint of Broadside which I tasted and realised it was the same vile brew and clearly there was something very wrong with this beer as it was in no way representative of that beer, she hadn't pored from the wrong pump after all.
9) however by this time having placed the pint and gone away without asking if this on was any better I was faced with having to try to gain attention again thinking what sort of response would I get this time being so 'troublesome' to them.
10) losing the will to live and so angry by this time as a result, I doubted that I could keep my temper any longer so travelled the rest of my way back to my friends to cool down before deciding what further to do.
11) I decided that my being at near blowing point, my friends had noticed That something was wrong, I had better leave so I left them to go to another pub.
12) well done Stag you have had cause to annoy me and my partner in the past ( I don't eat there any more but that is another story) but this time you have really hit the jackpot. That's probably the last time I will ever enter this pub, and they wonder why some pubs go out of business, let this be a lesson to others.
13) oh and unlucky thirteen I am now feeling somewhat iffy in the stomach. Wow what a nice quiet night out that turned out to be.
28 Aug 2013
1) the first pint was poor but I tolerated it
17 Feb 2009
very poor food, hardly no service.wont be back

371 Bury Street West, Edmonton, London, N9 9JW