Strongroom Bar, Shoreditch

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
Amongst the sea of Hoxton bars, the casual observer might miss the Strongroom bar, tucked away down an ivy covered alley. Associated with the recording studios next door, the owners are trying to make this different from the archetypal Shoreditch posers bar and our visits have always found the atmosphere distinctly uncontrived. A recent refurb, however, has changed a few things around - some for the better, others less so. The downstairs room, once used for club nights and consequently rather sparse has become a relaxed area filled with couches, interesting artwork and a good sound system. We were happy to find the jukebox still here - simply one of the best in London, it gives the place an extra pint rating. Refreshments wise, there's an excellent choice of bottled beers and a good food menu. Overall, despite recent changes, if you're after an alternative to the mainstream Hoxton experience, Strongroom might just hit the spot.
Latest visit was in and around the Beer Festival - a collection of London Brewers (and some just outside the M25) which was, we thought, a cracking idea. Getting better all the time!
30 Dec 2010
Hi, not sure why The Strongroom has had any negatve reviews. I have been there many times in the last 2 years, and always found the place a great venue to chill out with firends, whether just one or two or a larger group. Great choice of beers and food (I belive the menu has recently been updated). Staff have always been very friendly and attendive. I will certainly be going there again soon.
28 Dec 2010
I agree with Jeffm. I've been to this smashing little boozer with my mates on many occasions. I've always found the staff and the atmosphere to be very friendly and welcoming. Nicely set back off the main road, The Strongroom offers excellent food and a great range of beers.

I'll certainly be returning in the near future.
24 Dec 2010
I and Seymour seem to have visited different establishments.I and my friends have used this bar for over 4 years. In that time we have always found the staff and the management fantastic and the food excellent. This bar really is a gem of a find in this area and has such a great character compared to the faceless bars that have sprung up around it. I and my friends have had some great times here I hope you do too! This bar is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
24 Dec 2010
Been here quite a few times and staff remember me (shows that they keep their staff - aways good) and are always friendly, with recommendations on food and beers. Range of draught and bottled beers is always good and the food has never disappointed. Good place to meet and mingle with a chilled atmos, so mystified by any negative stuff. Would recommend lunchtimes too, with good grub and a nice mix of people.
29 May 2010
This is for me the best bar in the area, the staff are great and along with the decor help to create a relaxed and friendly vibe that in turn attracts a chilled and unpretentious crowd. The beer range is very good, with a tasteful selection of lagers on tap and a solid range of bottled beers in the fridge. The food is good value and the menu changes often. They care about music, being part of a recording studio, what more can you ask?! It's about time FAP paid another visit, 2006 is a long time ago in bar terms!

120 Curtain Road, Shoreditch, London, EC2A 3SQ

Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Overview

Strongroom Bar & Kitchen, discreetly tucked away down a cobbled courtyard off Curtain Road is a haven for those in the know.

A split-level bar, affiliated to the studios, it caters largely for the local music and media industry and often features live music events.

Upstairs you will find the restaurant bar, offering table service and a food menu with specials changing daily, along with an extensive range of beers, wines and cocktails.

Alternatively, you can relax in the downstairs ‘lounge’ bar area featuring a wide range of world class spirits and possibly the best juke box in the area.

Documents