Tapping the Admiral, Camden

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
Run by the people behind the nearby Pineapple and Dalston's Railway Tavern (with most staff having fled from the Sir Richard Steele after its takeover), Tapping the Admiral is all you could wish for from a pub. Tastefully and understatedly refurbished, there are flagstone floors, wooden panels and amusing signs aplenty. There is a delicious choice of ales available, well kept and diverse in style and geographical origin, some authentic pickled-egg type bar snacks for the peckish, and thai food for the downright hungry. Official opening day is slated for the 11th Nov, and there was also talk of pub quizzes and cheese tasting evenings to come too. There isn't a huge amount of space, so it will be interesting to see how busy this pub gets of an evening. It's on a side street so passing trade might be limited, but those who value a warm welcome, good beer and a light, airy pub environment will surely seek it out.
28 Aug 2014
Absolutely first rate and well kept ales complemented by the wonderful pies. The Sunday roast is a treat too! Staff are very knowledgeable about the beers and the pub has built up a great mix of loyal regulars. A true "local" unlike many other pubs in Kentish Town.
01 May 2013
Not as good as it was last year. The bar staff keep changing (usually not a good sign) We had some of their homemade pies a few weeks back and were disappointed as there to be not much meat in them.
10 Dec 2011
Popped into this pub for quick glass of red armed, as a lone female, with a newspaper in hand to hide behind if necessary. It was not necessary, the bar staff were incredible - friendly and intelligent I was soon enjoying damn fine company. While not talking, I scanned the bottles on display above the bar - the ones with hand-written labels I found intriquing so I asked what they were. "House infused spirits" came the answer. I asked to try one, leaving the choice in the capable hands of "Roxy" (who, like all the staff in this pub, I found to be a true professional who prides herself on creating gob-smacking tastes). Ladies and gentlemen, I have never before drunk such beauty - hand made with love, let me tell you the chilli spiced rum with a splash of ginger beer (not just any old ginger beer - this one carefully chosen, chemical free n made by a small company)was just oral heaven. I had another one, I made three new friends with fellow drinkers, I had a glass of mulled cider (I do not particulary like cider so it may seem a strange choice, but oh lordy it was good!) Have to say was somewhat piddled by then, but having such a good time and not wanting to leave, had one more 'house infused spirit', cant even remember what it consisted of, only that it contained vodka and such a medley of deliciousness that I found myself spouting about layers of tastes n mouth explosions just like that guy from Master Chef. Bottom line, this pub is class, those than run it take exceeding care, love and pride in the quality of all that they create and serve and the people I met there made perfect and highly entertaining drinking buddies. Top marks!
29 Nov 2011
I love this pub. Superb ales and great music.
29 Nov 2011
A selection of varied local and national ales always in wonderful condition with an interesting selection of continental beers and pilsners (i have been told as i don't drink them!). Friendliest staff for miles. A MUST visit!!
15 Apr 2012
All change on the food front. The new 'British' pub food menu is much more in keeping with the rest of the top notch fare on offer. The Tapping the Admiral home made pies are out of this world, made with the excellent cask ales and ciders. Monday & Tuesday are 'Pie Nights' offering a substantial pie of your choice, mash, gravy and a pint for £10. Look out for the 'London to Brighton' Ale festival over May bank holiday and a very special live music session on Saturday May 5th featuring 3 top New Zealand female solo artists

77 Castle Road, Camden Town, London, Middlesex, NW1 8SU
02072676118
Opening times
12 to 11pm Monday & Tuesday, 12 to 12am Wednesday to Saturday, 12 to 10.30pm Sunday
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Beer festival
Happy hour
Quiz night

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

CAMRA North London Pub of the Year 2013. Tapping the Admiral is a friendly community pub dedicated to high quality British ale, lager, cider and perry plus an extensive range of exquisite bottled ales, artisanal spirits and a great selection of wines to suit all tastes.
We serve food, tea & coffee all day from 12pm. Our Great British food menu boasts awesome homemade pies (using our excellent cask condiotioned ales & ciders), fresh fish & chips, awesome steaks & burgers, fab salads, sandwiches and wraps.

Our small but beautifully designed beer garden is the perfect spot to enjoy the great outdoors.
We offer a warm welcome to everyone. CHEERS!

Detailed Description

CAMRA North London Pub of the Year 2013. 8 handpumps serving cellar cold ale. LocAle accredited by CAMRA, serving at least 2 ales brewed within 30 miles of the pub. Genuine draft scrumpy and perry from small producers. Fabulous hand made bar snacks including the legendary scotch eggs. Our Great British food menu boasts awesome homemade pies (using our excellent cask condiotioned ales & ciders), fresh fish & chips, steaks & burgers, fab salads, sandwiches and wraps. Pub quiz every Wednesday from 8.30 with rollover jackpot.

Documents