The Albert, Victoria

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
This huge Victorian pub is well placed for what it does - it's what all the tourists are expecting from an English pub, so it's popular with them (and Chelsea Pensioners, apparently). But that doesn't mean it's not for the avid pubgoer. There's a good range of bitters on the hand pumps, with regulars such as Bombardier, Deuchars and IPA plus a guest beer - Theakston's Black Bull on our last visit - and it's decently kept. There's also plenty of other drink on tap (including Leffe) and in bottles along with wines, spirits etc. It's a handsome building, too and whilst the interior might be a shadow of its former self (albeit it's well looked-after), the exterior amply demonstrates the palatial aspirations of the original builders. There's a strong emphasis on pub grub, which looks decent enough although we haven't tried it, to fuel the tourist throngs. Surprisingly, considering where the pub is, the prices aren't sky-high and the service seems to cope admirably with the waves of visitors appearing at the usual times. As tourist pubs go, not a bad one at all.
30 Jan 2012
My friend and I were at Olympia on Sunday and I had found The Albert online previously as we fancied a carvery after the exhibition. I had read mixed reviews but as it was the only place that promised a carvery near to where we were we thought we would risk it. Thoroughly pleased that we took the risk it was delicious and plenty of it! Beef that melted in your mouth, juicy turkey and succulent pork with lovely crispy bits and an ample selection of fresh veg and gravy. The staff were polite and helpful and the restaurant is beautifully interesting. Will definitely visit here again - excellent value for money as they also do meals in the bar down stairs for £8 and upwards. The carvery is £12.50 but if you go onto the Taylor Walker website and register they email you a £5 voucher reedemable against any bill over £10 so my friend and I had a feast for a tenner each - a bargain for this area by any degree! Highly recommend!
12 Sep 2009
It was open on Christmas, and we were on our way back to the hotel from Westminister Cathedral. The food wasn't great, but we were just happy to find someplace that was open.
02 Aug 2008
In the early 70's I worked in Artillery Row & used to pass by this pub twicw a day. Occasionally we would have lunch there - very good, with good beer. Happy to know that it is still there.

52 Victoria Street, Victoria, London, SW1H 0NP