The Albion (ex O'Neill's), Fleet Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
This pub was, until recently, an identikit O'Neill's just by Ludgate Circus. Young's certainly don't hang about - the place was closed down and refurbished (minus live sport) to within an inch of its life, all in the blink of an eye. The beer is standard - Deuchar's IPA and Bombardier as well as Young's bitter, with various continental bottled lagers for good measure. What stands out is the six or seven brands of champagne advertised on a pillar by the bar. This, together with the (admittedly pleasant) decor and leather settees, smacks unmistakably of "wannabe gastropub". However, this pub is caught between two stools. It is certainly less pretentious than some recently tarted-up places, and does retain something of the air of a boozer (only around half the clientele were eating on our visit). We suspect the format will prove either a roaring success or a total turkey, but the cynical view persists that the somewhat contrived sophistication exists merely as an excuse to charge seven quid for fish cakes, long thin fries and a bit of salad on a square plate.
10 Oct 2012
Awful pub went here for a friends birthday staff were very rude and food was cold (and my friend found a clump of hairs in her food!) the pub has obviously not been run very well I have generally not had good experiences with youngs pubs, and will definitely be avoiding them in the future. To be honest it ruined her birthday and I would strongly advise not going to this pub!
01 Apr 2012
Went there today 01-04-2012 the place looks nice, however the food was terrible. My pie was burned to a crisp and the processed meat filling, I think it was some kind of meat was so salty and really not good at all. I tried my best to eat it as I was so very hungry from a long day of walking but just could not choke it down. I did get a refund, but never should have been served such a meal. Do not eat there.
17 Jan 2009
I went to The Albion yesterday lunchtime (Friday) with 2 friends and I have to warn you that the food was absolutely shocking! We ordered the steak and ale pie (£8.50), a rump steak (£9.95) and a squid boullibaisse (£8.50). The place was quite busy and the food took about 10 minutes to arrive.

I got a very dry looking pie, tried to cut into it and realised it was bone dry and had a COMPLETELY FROZEN block inside it! It was about 5cm cubed and was so frozen you couldn’t penetrate it with a fork! The steak was ordered medium-rare and came well done and very dry and was sent back. The boullibaisse sauce was very runny and bland and most was left uneaten.

To be fair to the waiter he was very apologetic, offered another meal to replace the pie and waived our drinks from the bill. However I must also warn you that the burger and chips safe bet that I ordered instead of the pie was pretty poor and not worth the £10 charged. The burger wasn’t hot, just warm, the chips were overcooked and very dry and the burger bun was very cold (probably quickly defrosted).

To top off a thoroughly miserable lunch we had to ask 3 times for the bill and then hunt the waiter down to pay it.

Good points: the décor is much improved on O’Neills, the steak at the second time of asking was good and the Guinness was good.

2-3 New Bridge Street, Fleet Street, London, EC4V 6AA
Opening times
Mon-Thu 10:00-23:00
Fri 10:00-00:00
Sat 11:00-00:00
Sun 12:00-22:00
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Quiz night - quiz night Monday