The Albion, Islington

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (10 reviews)
Having been running as a high-end gastropub for a couple of years now, the Albion has clearly settled into its role of being a rather irritating experience. You certainly wouldn't expect bizarrely dismissive and haughty service when you're paying 10 for a baked potato. Being accosted and interrogated as you attempt to make your way to their rear garden is another. An few beer pumps serving an average choice of lager and ale nods towards the idea this might be a pub, but everything else screams restaurant. Try popping in for a drink towards the end of the week or on a weekend and you'll probably get the idea - very busy, filled with large reserved tables and a majority of diners. If you visit on a sunny spring afternoon it's a potentially pleasant place to relax and converse, but that does rather limit the options. Perhaps we're not part of the socio-economic group they're hoping to attract to this unnecessarily expensive part of town, but pubs like this are there, in part, to unwind and relax and with convivial people in an unpretentious environment. For us, the Albion doesn't fulfil any of these criteria.
07 Aug 2010
We went here today and were a bit irritated by the grumpy bar staff but that was nothing compared to how we felt when we came out of he pub after an hour to find our bicycles that were chained to the railings right in front of the pub were stolen. It was broad daylight and there people sitting at the tables outside. We could not believe it. The manager said there was no CCTV even though there was clearly a problem with bike theft from what the police said. We later saw the people who had stolen our bikes riding them a few streets away but could not catch them. A bad end to mediocre service.
30 Jul 2010
Great looking pub - should and could be a gem in the area. Sadly not even near. Crap staff, beyond rude and to be honest most look as if it was their first day behind a bar. Such a shame.
19 Aug 2009
A beautiful pub with a lovely big garden at the back. But the beauty of the setting can disguise something much more sinister, which is the extremely rude and aggressive nature of the staff! In a similar way to other Fancyapint users, we were discrimated against because we were part of a large group of early thirtysomethings celebrating someone's birthday. When we asked if we could order food, the barman asked if I was on the big table at the back, checked with the manager and said they had stopped serving food in the garden as it was about to close. In fact it wasn't due to close for another hour, they had just agreed to serve food outside to someone next to me at the bar and they continued bringing out food to other outside tables for the next hour. Also, as we were leaving the Italian Bar Manager made a very catty remark about our party and I was genuinely surprised to be treated that way by staff at a pub. We were very disappointed by the rude and deliberately offensive attitude of the staff and shall definitely not be returning here.
19 Aug 2009
Pub was quite nice inside, staff not very friendly. I was in there with some friends for a birthday, we got out the cake and sung happy birthday, Birthday boy blew out the candles then we were told that if we wanted to eat the cake we would have to pay a 'corkage' price per slice of £2.50. What a load of rubbish. We went to the pub round the corner <a href="http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub811.html" rel="nofollow">Drapers Arms</a> and asked if we could have our cake with a pint and they said yes, got us some plates, napkins and forks. Thats customer service - well done Drapers Arms, excellent service - we even tipped some of our delicious cake. Bad luck grumpy Albion staff.
19 Aug 2009
So, I think that The Albion is a very nice looking pub. You would think it's large beer garden is great for a few summer drinks with friends, so long as you friends are huge, dull, TOFFS.

If you don't like the Great British pub, but want somewhere 'posh', pretentious and soulless to go, then I'd fully recommend The Albion. You deserve it.
25 Jun 2009
Large 'country' style pub with monumentally rude staff. I think they've been taking lessons in arrogance and abruptness. One barman kept turning his back on me and walking off as I tried to buy a drink! You couldn't pay me to go back there and get treated the way our group did. Avoid!
18 May 2009
The food is superb and the staff here are absolutely first rate, no question. But what a shame about the manager on duty last Saturday lunchtime, who berated my friend rather aggressively because her full complement of friends hadn't turned up on time (there were 4 missing out of twelve, not to mention that it was her birthday) because other large groups were waiting to be seated. There are ways and means of treating your customers - his approach wasn't one of them. Such a shame.
13 Mar 2009
I was in this bar last night, food was good, if a little too expensive. The staff however were the rudest people I have ever encountered in London! The waitor basically accused our party of stealing an extra burger. We were a large group and ordered our foor separetly at the bar. After about 1.5 hours one of the party had still not recieved her meal. When we queried this they suggested maybe someone else had eaten it! The burger eventually came, there was no refund despite the wait and when I asked the waitor had he had the chance to check the till roll, without a shred of irony he commented that he hadn't had time yet! Oh how we laughed.
28 Jul 2008
Nice interior but overpriced and, if you don't look like the the usual, upper class, Islington crowd, expect to be served last and the service to be minimal. They even had the nerve to charge gratuity on my bill! Never again!!!

10 Thornhill Road, Islington, London, N1 1HW