The Angel, Covent Garden

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
The Angel is a lovely Victorian pub in the grey area between Covent Garden (Shaftesbury Avenue) and Tottenham Court Road. Because of its location, it can be a great place to meet/drink in town. It's got a lot of original Victorian features - including tile work - and has been refurbished with great care and attention. It does food, which is a bit basic, and not the best representation of a Sam Smith's pub. It's serves the usual Sam Smith's fare and is very reasonably priced for central London. It's obviously had complaints from local residents, as the beer garden now closes promptly at 5.15pm. The bar staff can appear a little miserable, but apparently that's par for the course when you work for a brewer from Yorkshire. Anyway, don't let that put you off though - the Angel is definitely worth a look.
24 Jul 2013
Sadly a pub very much in decline. Constantly changing staff who don't seem to give a toss plus poorly kept beer. Also seen some very aggressive behaviour from the bar staff. Very little good to say about this pub. I like Sam smiths pubs in general but I would avoid this one.
27 Jan 2012
Beware, appalling service. I went in with my wife on our anniversary to have a quick drink before our show started. It was very quiet, one person at the bar. My wife and I sat at the bar. The barman gave us a sideways glance. Having finished serving the only other customer, the barman decided he needed to get some change for the till. He disappeared for a few moments and made an elaborate display of dropping the change into the till. As he turned around, another customer came in. We were still seated at the bar but the barman chose to wait for the new customer to get to the bar. All smiles and obsequiousness he took great pleasure in continuing to ignore my wife and I whilst serving the new customer. Understandably, we left without buying a drink. I wonder what his manager would have thought?
09 Apr 2009
I had my bag stolen here - so be careful!

61- 62 St Giles High Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 8LH