The Angelic, Angel

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
This gastrobar apparently works, as it's usually busy, sometimes too busy - even on Saturday afternoons. In a lot of ways it feels more like a club inside, than a pub. Maybe it's the comfy sofas, the high ceilings or the iron circular staircase descending into hell... the dungeon... the dimly lit toilets (and they are - though we were slightly worried about the door marked 'gimps' down there). That said, it still manages to have decent beer on to go with the decent wine list and cocktail menu. The food's good quality, if a bit pricey - the rib of beef for two looked like a good choice for the carnivores, and there's quite a selection to choose from, including a Tapas menu. The clientele in the evenings are a good mix of people just chillin'' and having a few drinks and those that actually feel a bit peckish, the food. It has a very 'grown-up' feel to it, a bit of class which doesn't pander to youfs getting smashed on alcopops. It's a refreshing oasis from normal Islington pub life and a little off the beaten track, which is probably why it's the way it is.
26 Oct 2012
I'm happy to report that the beer was tasty (I noticed on the way in that they have a Cask Marque) and the service was friendly.
23 Jan 2009
I have never encountered such rude and obnoxious staff in such a long time anywhere. In the end I had to walk out without actually getting service. Unless you want to feel humiliated and ignored I would not recommend to anyone. For a pub that wasn't even busy strange way of treating customers during such hard times.

57 Liverpool Road, Angel, London, N1 0RJ