The Barnsbury, Islington

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Barnsbury's recent makeover has brought a breath of fresh air to the place. The redecoration has given the pub a subtle facelift and is now jolly comfortable, informal and, dare we say, refined. There's been a welcome improvement on the ale front too, with four beers on hand pumps, which are frequently changed -- including for some esoteric choices, and always (in our experience) well-kept. There's an even greater choice of bottled beers and a few continentals on tap, plus cider and, if that doesn't suit, then The Barnsbury offers an excellent, well-chosen range of wines, by the bottle, glass and more unusually, by the half-litre carafe. The food is excellent too. The prices vary from reasonable to quite high, but appropriate given the quality and the location, and a perfect match for the high-quality drink. We're told that a portion of the Barnsbury's profits go to a prostate cancer charity. So, whether you're thirsty, hungry or both, we suggest you pop along here, sample a few excellent ales, some good food and do your bit for a worthwhile charity.
18 Dec 2013
The Barnsbury has been under new management, and a new chef since July 2013. It is a little gem of a place, 5 minutes walk from The Angel tube station, and has a very friendly, discerning and cosy atmosphere, after its recent renovations and rejuvenations. This Freehouse has a wide selection of wines and beers, (including Prosecco by the glass!) and a good and reasonably priced pub menu. We had bangers 'n mash and asparagus & pea ravioli, which was really delicious. The pub is family run, and is child and dog friendly. Strongly recommended to real pub lovers.
15 Oct 2010
I hadn't been to the Barnsbury for some time and having heard it had undergone refurbishment and was under new management thought I’d go and check it out with friends. I was pleasantly surprised. We went on a Wednesday night which happened to be their £2 a pint of ale night so I shared a couple of the flavoured ones with a friend and they are dangerously delicious! We stayed to eat and I had the pig cheeks, something I'd never eaten before and which were absolutely to die for and my friend had the lamb which was equally as tasty. Good quality food beautifully presented. The staff were friendly and attentive and all in all a great place for a drink and food at reasonable prices in a nice friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be going back especially as I'd like to try the Sunday roast and is somewhere I wouldn't hesitate recommending.

209 Liverpool Road, Islington, London, N1 1LX

Claimed by
Landlord information

Overview

The Barnsbury is a pub with very high standards on food and ale, we are a cask marque rated pub and 4 pint rated by fancy a pint, one of the few pubs in london with this.

the pub is very cosy, great vibe, chilled and intimate with a stunning garden.

we do hope to see you, we will ensure to make you feel ever so welcome and go the extra mile.

kind regards