The Bell, Cannon Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Not so long ago, this was one of many old-style, untouched, City pubs, but now the Bell's something of an endangered species. Its tiny size means it gets packed to the gunwales at commuting times, but the service is prompt and polite and the range of real ale on the hand pumps is pretty well looked after. Claiming to be one of the few houses that survived the Great Fire of London in 1666, much of the original structure of the building survives (back then this one would actually have been on the banks of the Thames). Still half-timbered throughout, the time-warp interior décor is in keeping with the old-fashioned service and we don't want it to change a thing. Devotees of style bars and gastropubs won't be battering down the doors to get in, but if you want a pub that harks back to times past you should give it a go. The recent introduction of two TV screens has changed things somewhat, but not so much as you might expect. See it while you can and before the interior ends up in the Museum of London as an example of 20th century social history.
27 Oct 2010
I did a solo pub crawl today (sad!). Started off at The Bell. Plenty of suits in at 1.15pm, but it was still comfortable. Not a single woman - why don't these guys invite their female colleagues for a drink? I had a pint of Cornish Coaster. Nice light, well-served, refreshing pint; reasonably priced for the area. Would have stayed for another one but I spotted one of my pet hate signs about "No Builders clothes, No dirty shoes or clothes". This is an old city pub, not a Manhattan celebrity lounge. Provided I have not stepped in a pile of poo, what the hell is the state of my shoes got to do with anything?
25 Oct 2010
Spring 2009. A true pleasure to find and visit. We went back several times and came to consider it a yardstick pub to base our other visits against for comparisons. The lady innkeeper (and house chef and resident manager) was truly friendly and accommodating. Upon our first finding The Bell, she was welcoming us in to talk about beer travel and was completely willing to stay open late on a weeknight with two yanks having several pints.

29 Bush Lane, Cannon Street, London, EC4R 0AN