The Bell, Walthamstow

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (6 reviews)
The Bell occupies a site that has housed a pub by of that name for well over a hundred years. Not much has changed to the exterior of the building on Bell Corner in that time. Inside the pub however, the fortunes of this grand old boozer have been mixed.

The latest incarnation of The Bell intends to cater for the increasing number of twenty and thirty somethings who have moved to the area from the likes of Shoreditch, Dalston and Stoke Newington, in search of a bit more space for their money whilst enjoying easy access to the City and West End.

Don’t let is recognition of a gap in the market put you off though.The Bell is much more than just a hipster pub, hoping to cash in on the craft beer boom. The new proprietor has managed to get the important facets of a pub just right.

You walk into a large space filled with a mixture of sofas, stools, chairs and tables suited for varying sized groups and occupied by a varying clientele that manage to create quite a harmonious atmosphere. The pub was busy, but getting a drink was never a problem. There was decent music and a lively atmosphere, yet you could comfortably converse with friends.

The decor is uncluttered yet filled with character. Cool without trying too hard. In front of a bare brick wall stood a wood panelled bar. This held a decent selection of standard lagers and eight handpumps featuring ales from the likes of Timothy Taylor, Ikley, Redemption and the East London Brewing company, all well kept.

Behind the bar, quality bottled beers from Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn and Anchor Brewing sit alongside a decent selection of wines and spirits. Snacks came in the shape of an interesting array of crisps and nuts, whilst locally made pies and scotch eggs sit temptingly on the bar.

It’s the attention to detail; in the stylish and understated decor, in the quality of the food and drink available and in the joviality of the staff that make The Bell well worth a visit. Just maybe an area that is proving it has a lot to offer, and a site that has an illustrious history, finally has the pub it deserves.

This Review courtesy of Nick @BlogandDuck
W: blogandduck.tumblr.com
T: http://twitter.com/blogandduck
08 Nov 2013
Had a gorgeous lunch there on 7th November. It was quiet as it was a Thurseday lunch time I guess. My friend and I both had the bell burger with rustic chips. The chips were the best chips I have eaten away from home (and i've eaten a few lol). They were amazing, hot, thick and fluffy - just how they should be. The burger was huge and also very good, although couldve done with a tad more seasoning. We were were stuffed so didn't go for dessert but would definiately go again for those chips! We had dogs with us who were also provided for - given a bowl of water and a treat each which was nice.
Great pub - highly recommended. Well done!!
26 Mar 2013
Have drunk in this pub for very many years and it has sometimes been good and sometimes terrible, but now it has risen to excellent! It is related to the Antic chain and is styled in a similar manner. It is comfortable, if relaxed , and serves an excellent selection of real ales including both independents and local micros. It has a friendly atmosphere and good background music and the friendly staff are always happy to help you select the most suitable ale. Have not eaten there yet, but the menu that they launched last week was very appetising and I shall certainly remedy my oversight soon. An ideal place to meet for a chat or just to chill for an hour after work before fighting with the public transport system. A real bonus to the area.
12 Jan 2013
We need more pubs like this, Walthamstow is crying out for decent pubs. Now we have a choice and don't have to walk up to the Village for decent ale and a good ambiance.
12 Nov 2012
The new owners have done an amazing job on the refurb of such a beautiful pub. Perfectly kept ales, great music, lovely REAL fire and a superb clientele make this pub exactly what Walthamstow needed. Finally we've been given a local we can be proud of.
12 Nov 2012
Unfortunately the pioneers from west of the River Lee seem intent not only on colonising Walthamstow but also introducing their offspring to the fine old British tradition of pubbing from an early age (ignoring that part of the tradition which made them child-free environments). I arrived at The Bell 2.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and. although there was on squealing baby I didn't find it too intrusive. Having got a pint and settled myself down in a wing chair by the open (real) log fire I spent a reasonably contented half hour but from 3pm the buggy brigade started arriving en masse and in short order I counted twelve little darling, two of whom were riding round on scooters and one of whom was being fed 'au naturelle' (for some this site won't let me use the term by which we all know it). The place became a parking lot for baby tractors which had to be negotiated to get to the bar and facilities. I'm fairly relaxed about this in Hoe Street 'yummy mummy' cafes like Daisy's or La Delice but don't expect it in licensed premises. I guess once food is served it will become even more family orientated but I asked the landlord what time a 'curfew' would kick in to create an adult ambience. I was appalled when he said 8pm. That's far too late and, sadly, I doubt much of my money, or that or my peers, will pass over the bar or into the kitchen if this remains the case. Perhaps the Nags has got it right after all!

617 Forest Road, Walthamstow, London, E17 4NE

Claimed by
AndyPotter
Claimed 06 Jun 2011
Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Overview

This is a huge former gin palace of East London.