The Britannia, Homerton

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
We were pleasantly surprised when we were in last - the refurb earlier this year has removed the worst bits of previous incarnations of this pub and left it with a tasteful interior with plenty of comfy sofas and tables to congregate around. Combine that with decent beer on the pumps, Euro offerings like Leffe and Hoegaarden, as well as local favourites from the Meantime Brewery and Aspall's cider, are welcome additions to the lagers on tap, which when combined with the bottled beer and cider available should quench most thirsts. The wine list is on the pricey side, hovering between 20-25 a bottle for the most part, and the 150 bottle of Krug is beyond most pockets we know. That said, the staff are attentive and more than willing to help. We were rather surprised how quiet it was on a Friday night, but then it may well be out of the price range of the usual locals - 5 for a pint of Hoegaarden might be normal, but it ain't cheap. When the weather's better, the beer garden is well worth a visit, with views over Victoria Park. We have to say this pub is really trying and hopefully business will pick up when a few more people find out about it.
07 Jun 2010
I stumbled across the pub by accident and was thought it was great. Staff went out of their way to help on a busy Sunday afternoon and it's got the perfect laid-back atmosphere you want for a few drinks with friends. It's also dog-friendly and has a lovely beer garden.
06 Aug 2009
I live in the Victoria Park area and am delighted that this run down pub is now a friendly local, with lovely food and a lot going on.

We've spent many an enjoyable summer weekend in the beer garden, and have generally found the staff friendly and efficient. Compared to previous incarnations, these guys are doing a very good job.

Also, I note that the review on this site is from last year - and bears little resemblance to how the pub is now!!!
08 Jun 2009
This pub has a good chance of success but having eaten here a few times I was very rudely spoken to by the Manager, Andrew. On a quiet weekday lunchtime our lunch was dispatched by the kitchen and he had obviously walked past us. When he returned with the food he said ' you could have stopped me on my way past'. Now forgieve me but had I said 'is that my food' I would have been wrong and as a customer am I now supposed to look out for my food and not enjoy the company in with!? I had a blackboard number the size of a small fridge on my table.

Also the garden was totally overrun with fag ends as well as dirty straws, rubbish etc. This pub pitches itself for families but there was no way we could enjoy the garden with a child

Will not be going back