The Clarence, Balham

Our rating: FAP Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Closed for a refurb - will get back to it once it reopens
07 Dec 2014
This pub has now reopened as the Balham Arms.
17 Jul 2009
fancy a pint? then don't go here...

I read all of the reviews for this place thinking it would be great - I think it must have been the staff that posted the reviews, because my experience was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I have posted my comments on a few sites now so that people can see the truth!!!

Perhaps for Balham this pub is good, but to be honest I wasn't all that impressed - far from it, I was very UNimpressed. The food is OK, but very overpriced for food that is ultimately microwaved like every other pub. I was "greeted" by a very snotty barmaid, and was shortchanged £1 and after a lot of arguing I just left it at that - clearly they're not being paid very much so she's welcome to it.

Atmosphere wasn't great - everyone seemed a bit stressed behind the bar and didn't seem to pay attention to the queing system at the bar.

And to top it all off there was no loo paper in several of the womens toilets - a particular pet hate of mine. I certainly won't be going back.
10 Nov 2008
It does have atmosphere yes and the interior design is interesting. Outdoor seating though? Hmmm, wouldn't call it that, it overlooks the entrance to the Post Office and a shabby yard where the Doleites gather before cashing their giros! There's a quieter courtyard at the back but that's good for about six people max.

90-92 Balham High Road, Balham, London, SW12 9AG