The Commissary Bar & Restaurant, City Road

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Hidden within Europe's largest photographic studio complex Holborn Studios and situated off bleak Eagle Wharf Road, the Commissary is something of a surprise. Its location - overlooking the Regent's Canal amongst the canal boats - is simply fantastic, with plenty of outside seating to relax on a warm Summer's day. The interior is nicely decorated enough, with plenty of photos around (as one would expect) and giant picture windows to make the most of the view. Add a bistro and a fair selection of wines and bottled beers, and you'd think you were onto a winner. However the most surprising thing about it is that on a Friday evening at 8.30pm it was entirely empty. Granted, it's not easy to locate, but we were assured that it gets a steady daytime trade, presumably mainly from the Studios. If nothing else its probably Islington's biggest secret and currently it almost feels like our own private bar.

(Also note odd and seasonal opening hours. May to September: Mon-Fri 08.00-22.00, Sat: 11.00-16.00. October to April: Mon-Fri 08.00-20.00, Sat/Sun closed.)

02 Jun 2016
We have been coming here for a number of years now and it is great watching the family grow up.
whenever we arrive in Hoxton, this is the first place we go!

The food is as always tasty with huge portions and cooked just how you like.
03 Dec 2011
I work very near The Commissary and often visit for coffee with colleagues. The reasons it is empty are twofold. The food is very poor and the manager is incredibly rude. Last time I was there after 45 minutes whilst I was still drinking my coffee he asked me when I was going to have another drink as I 'needed to pay my rent'. The place was empty and it was 11 am so I found this attitude astonishing. Some of my colleagues have also experienced the same treatment.

49-50 Eagle Wharf Road, City Road, London, N1 7ED