The Compass (ex-Salmon & Compass), Angel

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Having replaced DJ bar the Salmon & Compass with a "pub and eatery" a while back and ditching the fishy part of the name, the Compass is keeping standards high. Sister pub to The Green in Clerkenwell, it's not terribly surprising food takes precedence, but with three regularly changing real ales and a hearty 6% cider there is enough to keep drinkers onside. The food coming from the open kitchen is above standard pub grub, with even the chips and bread being home-made. Also, any place that sells a black pudding sausage roll and has gargantuan jars of pickled eggs and onions on display has to be recommended. We've yet to try what's advertised as "the World's Greatest Scotch Egg" (it's made with a duck egg), yet, but we have high hopes. The refurb is very much a standard gastropub makeover, quite plain but inoffensive, but benefits from plenty of natural light. There are six additional tables outside, which seemed to be basking in the sun's rays in the early afternoon. What made this stand out for us was the welcoming and helpful bar staff, and we'll be going back again soon.
15 Oct 2009
Tried to sample it on Monday only to find that it doesn't open lunchtimes during the week - no mention of this on their own website! Looking through the window I could see Adnams Bitter and Deuchars IPA plus a na other on the bar.
07 Jul 2009
I met up with friends here on a glorious sunny London day and I tell you it doesn't get much better then sitting outside basking in the sunshine accompanied by fine ales.

The ales on tap were excellent and combined with fantastic food. The duck scotch egg was amazing, I would love to know how the chef manages to acheive it and it left me wanting more. So I had another!

I'm definitely going to come back for dinner as the other diners plates looked great too.. hearty and good sized portions. Service was good and friendly with the laid back feel that a lot of pubs are missing..

My only gripe is that I don't live close enough but then I would be spending far too much time here but it's worth the trip for me everytime,
02 Jul 2009
I went to the Compass for dinner, with a friend. Really welcoming and smiley staff, light and airy room with big windows and lots of outside seating in sun or shade. We were recommended a Portugese white Torega Nationale unoaked Chardonney by the french barman, so delicious we stayed on that for the evening. I had the snails to start, tasty and succulent. Then I had the Cornish Fish Stew, for me a fish stew is a good test of a kitchen, and this one was absolutely delicious, deep and full of flavour with a properly made crouton with rouille, which I love and its hard to find it done well in this country.

A blackboard said that all the food is sourced in the UK, and the fish is sustainable...very important in light of recent reports about fish stocks...so in light of this we shared the cheese board...yum, really great selection.

The other food coming out of the kitchen looked great too so we'll be going back for more. I've read lots of great reviews of this pub and i'm really happy to have it nearby, i want to check out the duck eye scotch egg next time!

58 Penton Street, Angel, London, N1 9PZ