The Crown, Bow

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Crown is a handsome Victorian building, in a prime location by Victoria Park. Inside the pub has been sensibly organised into a trendy, loungey are, complete with wall-mounted gas fire, separated from the bar area by a bookcase partition, with more formal dining rooms upstairs. There's a handy terrace for smokers, or sunny days where you you can sit and watch the world go by. The drink on offer is the usual high quality range you'd expect from Geronimo - Pride, Adnam's and Sharp's excellent Doom Bar on the hand pumps, with Aspall's Cider and more regular lagers etc. on tap. The wine list is pretty good and of course there are plenty of spirits. The food is OK - a now familiar modern British pub menu (it was once an expensive organic pub) - and you can eat in the bar for in more formal surroundings upstairs. Pricing is about what you'd expect - a little higher than average, but then you do get what you pay for. If you're not up to a full meal, there's an excellent range of bar food. As ever, towards the end of the week, especially in the evening, you'll find the place pretty crowded with bright young things up for a night out and bank holiday weekends and festivals will see the place filled to bursting point with outsiders. However, earlier in the week, you'll find it a pretty chilled-out experience (although the Monday night quiz can get busy).
23 Jul 2008
I'm a big fan of the Morgan Arms, the Crown's sister pub, so was looking forward to eating here when it opened recently.

It's taken a couple of months because it was so busy with interested locals at first, and they (rather arrogantly) decided not to have a booking policy.

But now the fuss has died down, I've been twice.

The first time I ate there for lunch I was unwell so just wanted something small and healthy - but the only thing on the menu that came under that description was the parma ham, strawberries and balsamic vinegar. It was tasty enough but an incredibly mean portion. My mum and boyfriend had fish and chips which they liked well enough - but then, how hard is it to get fish and chips wrong?

Then I went back the night before last for dinner, and had a dreadful experience. My starter - tomato, mozzarella and basil salad - had tons of under ripe green tomatoes, and barely any basil. My boyfriend's soup was broccoli soup with a blob of stilton in the middle, and neither of us was offered any bread. So far, so average. But the problems really started with the main courses. I ordered a seafood risotto which was so indescribably awful that I couldn't eat it. I have to tell you that this is the first time that has EVER happened to me in a restaurant - normally I am a dustbin for food, even if it's not that great. As I'm not the type to complain, I tried to hide the fact I hadn't eaten anything by putting my napkin on the plate, but the waiter came and told me the kitchen were asking if there was a problem as they'd noticed I hadn't eaten it. That's a sign of a good restaurant. However, after telling the waiter how awful it was (soggy, very over salted, very fishy, couldn't taste the crab or the mussels for the overwhelming taste of seawater - basically they put far too much fish stock in and it hadn't absorbed properly!), we got the bill and I had been charged for it! Unbelievable.

My boyfriend's main course, the only vegetarian option on the menu, was a few salad leaves, two huge lumps of goats cheese, and six pecan nuts.

The waiter is lovely and the building has been decorated beautifully, so I really wanted to like the Crown, but I will not be going back.

Needless to say, we didn't stay for the unimaginative puddings (lemon tart, ice cream, creme brulee, yawn yawn).

Very disappointing.
16 May 2008
I've been here to eat and drink since it reopned and it is pretty good stuff. The "space" is better than the Morgan Arms round the corner for sure though I thought the food and service was not quite there yet. Maybe it will be in time. Its an excellent pub though all round and a welcome addition to the area.

223 Grove Road, Bow, London, E3 5SN