The Dove, Hackney

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Well established here now, the Dove's Belgian theme is so well executed it doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary any more. If you're in the mood for a seemingly endless range of excellent Belgian beers and some pretty decent continental-style food that's not 21st century gastropub fare, then this is the place for you. They also do real ales for the CAMRA purists and the wine list's not too shabby, either. The expansion of the premises a while ago means that it rarely suffers the overcrowding it used to - although it is very, very popular - so much so there are people employed for crowd control. With so many nooks and crannies to accommodate the clientele, it doesn't usually take long to find a table (some sections, however are reserved for diners). We're pleased this one hasn't been "improved" or updated and the same levels of service are being maintained. It's still a great pub and an excellent reason to visit Hackney - the Dove is well worth the tramp up from Bethnal Green tube.
26 Apr 2012
I had my birthday a couple of weeks ago and had a great time and was allowed my own cake!! The food is fab and reasonably priced. The bloody mary is the best I have ever tasted and a great hangover cure - which you will need if you have tried any of the huge number of beers there are to try. Fantastic place, highly rated.
26 Jul 2008
Horribly unfriendly!!!

The bouncer woman threathened to watch me buy a drink as I wanted to use the toilet. And yes, do NOT go there for your birthday and better NEVER, as you're not even allowed to have a piece of your own birthday cake in there.

There are much better pubs around London Fields. This one is all about making money and ripping customers off!

Never again!