The Duke of Edinburgh, Brixton

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Not having been to this one for a while, we found it's turned out well after a recentish refurb - equipped with pleasant and friendly staff and relaxed locals of all sorts. It's managed to pull off the feel of a traditional pub but is modern at the same time. Our complaints about lack of beer last time have been rectified with two on the pumps, including Tribute and a nice pint it was, too. The food's good and relatively inexpensive and not too gastro (although we couldn't quite explain the 'banana jam' that came with the chorizo baguette). The big screens in the place dominate a bit and it was a little confusing with two games on at the same time. That said, it was comfortable enough and we'll probably go back again next time we're in the area. And it's close enough to the Academy that it's worth going to if you plan on going to a gig - and far enough away to keep it from becoming overwhelmed with gig-goers.
20 Mar 2012
An awful pub with rude, xenophobic staff! Pouring a pint of Guinness is not a complex procedure, granted it can be a little time consuming, but in terms of annoying drinks- it is a far cry from a Mojito or an Irish coffee! Knowing this, you can imagine my confusion when a pint of Guinness proved too much for the bartender in 'The Duke of Edinburgh'. I was a little stunned when he placed a 'straight-poured' pint of Guinness in front of me. This not the first time a bartender has 'straight-poured' a pint, but usually they hail from a ‘Guinnessless’ region of the world and are more than happy to change it when you explain that it needs to rest. The bartender in question, however, was a local man, who would have been at least familiar with pouring an adequate Guinness. Politely, I asked him to change it, only to be told that he wouldn't because he was too busy. Somewhat shocked by his response, I told him that I wanted a Guinness poured properly, to which he rudely responded that I had “to take it or leave, that I was not getting another one and that I was just bitter because Ireland had lost the match”. This I felt was excessive and utterly uncalled for. The afternoon spent being insulted by the crowd in the pub; being called 'Fenian bastards', 'Potato Eaters' and other such examples of casual racism masquerading as 'misguided wit', didn't offend, so much as amuse, but the ‘straight poured’ Guinness by the incompetent, Hibernophobic barman was a step to far and not even the nice beer garden can make up for it.
06 Sep 2011
Pretty much a perfect pub. Though the clientele can sometime be a bit east of brixton.

204 Ferndale Road, Brixton, London, SW9 8AG
Opening times
Mon-Thu 15.00-00.00 | Fri 14.00-02.00 | Sat 12.00-02.00 | Sun 12.00-23.00
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Claimed by
camdenbars
Claimed 19 Sep 2013
Dispute claim
Report member
Landlord information

Overview

Under new management as of August 2013.