The Eagle, Old Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
'Up and down the City Road, In and out the Eagle, That's the way the money goes. Pop! goes the weasel'. For those who like a bit of history, not many pubs can lay claim to being mentioned in a nursery rhyme - an old cautionary tale about spending all your money on booze. Times have changed (perhaps) and although the Eagle was Islington-ised a while back, at heart it's still a pub. The staff are friendly, if a bit harassed trying to keep up with everything on our last visit, and there's a fine choice of drink - guests ales on the four hand pumps and plenty of fine Continental beers on tap. In addition, the ivy-covered garden is pretty where there are barbecues in Summer, when it's fine. There are quiz nights, incentives like "pie" days and newspapers to peruse - everything you need for a relaxing time down the pub. Although often eerily quiet on Saturdays - even with the all-day breakfast, the Eagle's location off Old Street roundabout means during the week its full with what can be an oil-and-water mix of local office workers, flat sharers, council estate dwellers and Hoxtonites. Overall, not bad at all.
14 Dec 2011
Not unpleasant with a good range of beers but curiously charmless inside for such a beautiful building. Also, it seemed a bit "cool" for me, with a fairly narrow demographic in its punterage.
27 Aug 2010
Good selection of well kept beers, so for an evenings vertical drinking it's great.

Buit two years on from Gem's comments and not a lot has changed. There is still an all pervading odour of toilet and the staff, though polite, are clearly undertrained. The food is very hit and miss. Can be good but Sunday roast the other week consisted of a ropey bit of chicken, some cold carrots, hard yorkshires and very nice mash.
01 Aug 2010
The eagle has great potential but in the seven years I've gone to it, it's gone so far downhill to be not funny. The service is AWFUL... long waits for drinks, clueless staff. The food takes ages to arrive and is sometimes ok, sometimes terrible. The great thing about the Eagle was the garden, which in all its randomness was gorgeous in the summer. NOW it's been redone and its a shocker. No sun at all, they've put so many tables and sun shades in to make it dark, you get more light sitting inside. Oh and the worst thing? The light blue paint job that was done early 2010. Its something to see and loathe. Sorry to be so negative, I wish I could praise it because it used to be a gem...
22 Jul 2008
The Eagle is my local, and as much as I love it for its convenience and atmosphere, I hate it for the following reasons:

It smells. No, really. The toilets are hideous and permeate everything.

The bar staff. Ridiculous waits to get served - even when it's dead quiet - don't get me started on a Fri/Sat night.

Yet we keep going back - and so do many others, which doesn't really incentivise them to fix these things.

Go forth and try the Fruli, but don;t say I didn;t warn you....

2 Shepherdess Walk, Old Street, London, N1 7LB