The Easton, Gray's Inn Road

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Since The Eagle kickstarted the gastropub phenomenon, plenty of other old boozers in its vicinity have followed its example. Arguably Clerkenwell now has the greatest concentration of gastropubs in London and the Easton is one of the more noted. There's no deviation from the usual gastro interior: large windows, fancy wallpaper and stripped out furnishings. Nor is there a great selection on tap: Kronenburg, Staropramen and Hoegaarden will no doubt keep plenty of punters happy but when more and more pubs in London are stocking a wider variety of continental beers you would like to see a greater choice, even in a place that plays such emphasis on its food. On that front The Easton promises a weekly changing menu though we've yet to sample it. We don't doubt its excellence, though the overall feel of the place - in common with many one-roomed gastropubs - is that if you're just after a few drinks you won't feel too at home here. A problem, alas, that now affects a lot of the pubs in the area. (New photo to come).
06 Sep 2010
Surprised to read the comments about arsy bartenders - they were utterly charming and warm during my several visits to this shabby yet characterful pub. Not to mention hot!
19 Apr 2010
As above, nice pub, staff with attitudes like you wouldn't believe. "That's just rude," said the barmaid/server when I questioned why another table had been seated and served before us. When I told her that I would be leaving (who pays £80+ to be told off?) she came out and held the door open for us. At the same time as admitting that she could have been more aware that we were there (she was wrestling with all of 10 tables - god help us if it's full), she asked for an apology because I was rude. Food in the past has been fantastic, but not with this ultra-cool sticklike lady, who seems to think that the bar is her own personal fiefdom. Not worth the kowtowing this woman makes necessary, it seems to me.

22 Easton Street, Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 0DS