The Golden Heart, Spitalfields

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 0 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (13 reviews)
This pub has seen its popularity surge over the last few years as Spitalfields has transformed in to a Hoxtonite haven, but one constant has remained - the no-nonsense landlady. Some would call her eccentric, but she just won't suffer fools gladly - an unfortunate problem this close to all the buffoonery present on nearby Brick Lane. Still, when a place exudes as much charm as this, with a dozing pub dog, two original bars and some well preserved Trumans wood panelling, you can overlook the few evident problems. You might, for example, want to avoid the busy times like Friday night or Sunday afternoon when the weight of the hoards can be enough to quell any enjoyment. Our last visit also saw an unfortunate shortage of change, but the cheery staff did well to cope anyway. While the long standing Brick Lane residents with fond memories of this place are getting fewer by the year, they have been replaced by a new set of fans who make this their pub of choice. Overall, well worth a look if you're in the area and there's always the Commercial Tavern up the road if you fancy something a bit trendier, or the Pride of Spitalfields on the other side of Brick Lane for another classic East End boozer.
06 Feb 2014
When visiting this pub yesterday I was somewhat taken aback to be charged £5.60 for two halves of real ale. Assuming this to be a simple till error I questioned the amount with the barmaid who merely said that this was the price. I then asked to see the manager as she was unwilling or unable to rectify the error. The barmaid summoned over a lady seated at the other side of the bar who promptly asked me and my companion to leave, accusing me moreover of being inebriated. As a retired senior civil servant I am unused to this type of behaviour from bar personnel. I totally echo the other comments posted about this appalling venue which I shall avoid in future and recommend that others do likewise.
13 Aug 2013
The whole place smelt of detergent. Not a very wide selection of drinks.
01 Apr 2012
Echoing the comments below, Rudest woman behind the bar (older 'lady' - heavily 'made up' - wouldn't give her name) - We entered yesterday around 5pm intending to have a drink - I walked around the bar to see what Real Ales were on offer as my husband availed himself of the facilities. I was amazed when the Barmaid - who was in the middle of serving another couple demanded to know whether we were going to order drinks - I said that I was going to have a Brandy & Coke and that my Husband was a real Ale enthusiast - I didn't know what he wanted, but that he would order for us when he returned - She then went mad and accused me of coming out of the Market and using their toilets (the Market, by the way, has it's own toilets!) - I explained that this wasn't the case. By this time I was both annoyed and embarrased - I asked whether She was the Licensee - She referred to herself as Manager and said that we could not have a drink and that we had to get out! Quite annoyed, still, that She treated us in this way - We are a middle aged couple - smartly dressed - certainly not in any way deserving of that attitude - Would heartily recommend that anyone using the Market did go into this Pub to use the toilets - As to have a drink here is certainly not conducive to a good time! We will be writing to the Brewery to complain as her treatment of prospective customers is nothing short of disgusting.
14 Dec 2011
For once I totally disagree with the fancyapint 3-pint rating, which are usually bob in line with my way of drinking. We went to this place on recommendation from a colleague, who is now in the doghouse. I get the Trumans styling (ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be!), I get the appeal of less-than-engaging management and bar staff (much preferred to the cheesy false grins of characterless franchises), but unfortunately this was all irrelevant as the beer was terrible! The Adnams was a shocker, and ditched after a couple of swallows. Didn't bother to complain given previous reviews. Friend switched to Guinness (usually the safe option in poor pubs) but this was also below par. I switched to bottled lager which, trust me, is the worst comment I could personally make on any pub. I suppose this place might appeal to those who get in early and grab a table (the place is quite small), and who don't drink draft beers, but that's not me.
17 Oct 2011
Atrocious sums this place up.

The DRAGON behind the bar needs to be slayed!!!!

I'm dumbfounded as to why people would return to this Dragons Layer!!!

I could say a lot about the hour we spent there on a company do, but there's not enough characters to describe my disappointment in her total lack of customer relations!

03 Oct 2011
the pub is a complete dive the landlady needs to be sectioned!!!
03 Oct 2011
the pub is a complete dive the landlady needs to be sectioned!!!
03 Oct 2011
the pub is a dive the landlady needs to be sectioned...i would rather drink wee from a smack heads but!!!
02 Nov 2010
DO NOT DRINK IN THIS PUB! My husband and I have just returned from an evening including a visit to here, during which we received the worst service either of us have ever experienced. We live in east London and have done for some time. We enjoy the general vibe here. ie we don't subscribe to the `all bar staff in east London are surly and more interested in their hairstyles than service' etc. Nor are we picky or petty. And we have visited the Golden Heart on the odd occasion previously and not been unduly concerned by the level of service, though have found it at best abrupt. But this was something else. We entered the pub and I asked if they served a particular drink, to be met with a terse `no.' Not great, but I can live with that. My husband was then served a pint, though, which was a full 2 fingers' width below the standard measure. He asked for it to be topped up, the bar person grabbed the drink, did so for a milisecond and then slammed it down in front of him with a scowl. It was still at least a finger's width short, so he, again politely, said can you please top it up again it's still short. `No', was the retort, `it's fine'. `Excuse me?' we said, incredulously. `No, I won't, it's fine' My husband replied I'm simply asking for you to serve a full measure. No was her reply, and I don't like your attitude. I asked for her name, intending to inform the owner of the level of service. My name's Katie, was the response, and this is my pub and you can leave! She grabbed our drinks, threw them down the drain and thrust our money into our hands, telling us again to leave. We were understandably shocked (it's my birthday today, to add insult to injury) but of course did, never to return again, and sufficiently appalled to leave a comment on this and any other site we can think of, never having been moved to do so before. I would strongly advise anyone against supporting this kind of arrogant, self-important, ugly `service' by visiting the place.
10 Oct 2010
Used to be a good pub but looks like it now lives off it's reputation as Tracy's local. My last visit, and it will without doubt be my last visit, was enough. When I eventually got served, I realised that my pint was cloudy and had lots of white things at the bottom of the glass. Went back to complain and was asked by the barmaid, 'what do I expect, it's real ale. That's how some pints are!' OK I was pissed off by now and ask to change it for something else. No chance. Without asking, was given my money back with a look that told me not to bother coming back. Suits me fine.
Reviews (1) Invites (1)
23 Jan 2010
I agree 150 percent. We went this evening and were treated abominably; as if we were dirt on her shoe. Watched other punter lose his table to a bunch of ignorant girlies who nabbed it when he stood up for a replacement drink, then giggled when he acquiesced to their demand to "sit over there". We upped and left when we were told to move as we we were blocking the bar. (?) In a bar, having a drink, at a bar - que? Have been in and out of this pub over 15 years and have finally given up, they are too damn rude to deserve our money for abusive treatment (service is not even in the frame). The current punters reflect the standard set behind the bar. Trash.
11 May 2009
DO NOT GO TO THIS PUB.

I'm not a regular but I've been to this pub many times over the years. Yesterday I went with several friends and ordered a round that would have come to around £25. However, on sipping the pint of guinness that was just placed on the bar, my friend immediately spat it out, realising that the glass was half filled with straight bleach. His mouth burning he shouted for water, was ignored for several minutes. When the land lady walked past, she was unbelievalby unbothered by the fact that a customer had just ingested bleach that her staff had served. She sipped it herslef spat it out and said ' well that hasn't come from here'. she walked off, for 5 minutes we waited for an explanation, no aplogy, no nothing. The implication we strongly picked up was that as the pub was not responsible, then it must be down to us. Arrogant, unacceptable and dangerous attitude. Will never go here again, and suggest you do the same.

110 Commercial Street, Spitalfields, London, E1 6LZ