The Honor Oak, Forest Hill

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Honor Oak's settled in nicely since it changed hands and name in 2007. The Sindy doll-inspired artwork is still on the walls, and it's retained the modern look throughout the place. It definitely caters for families, from the kid's toys near the front door to various kid-friendly activities available in the large garden at the back. A decent menu, cocktails for the ladies and real ales on the taps round it out - the locals seem to like it the way it is and we'd be hard-pressed to disagree with them. And in our book, any place that promises 'Steak nights' has to be good!
06 Feb 2013
The pub has been painted black. Is it in mourning?
This was a legendary rough pub that was turned into a great place to take the family for Sunday lunch. It also has a large back room that is good for kids birthday parties and parent's birthday disco parties.

The sad thing is I have only been in once in the evening. It was ok but I just felt that it had no atmosphere. Cold and echoy. Changing a pub is a delicate thing. Scraping the walls of chintz and quirks sometimes kills off the things that make a pub nice in the first place.

Its hard to define why the Brockley Jack hasn't got it but Jam Circus did.
The landlord and staff always make a pub great. They are like a good host at a party.

I travel past this regularly on my way to the Blythe Hill Tavern. Maybe I should pop in and give it another go.
01 Oct 2011
This pub was once a wonderful place for a meal and pint but over the last few months it has become very average. Food is mediocre, the staff seem to have no idea what they are doing and were laughing nervously and apologising all the time. Took ten mins to get a pint when there was virtually no-one at the bar - then a few more mins to get the damned change. Very disorganised - empty mayo bottles, food being left out, some staff aren't allowed to take food orders. I last went 6 months ago and it was terrible - wrong orders - a totally inedible pepper sauce. When I pointed out that I had the wrong steak to the server he looked at me as if I was tring to explain quantum physics. I thought it may have got better but it aint!

1 St German's Road, Forest Hill, London, SE23 1RH