The Hope, Smithfield

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
An old, early-opening pub in the heart of Smithfield meat market, The Hope has serviced the traders here for many a year. Still retaining a few of its original features, the well-kept beer and genial bar staff make this a good place to meet and have a couple of drinks. It also has a critically acclaimed restaurant on the first floor and serves excellent roast meat sandwiches at lunchtime. Quiet enough of an evening, be warned that it often closes early (8:30-9:00ish most nights - well, you would too if you opened at 6:00 in the morning). However, if you like a place with a bit of activity and a comfortable atmosphere, or like the idea of a Guinness with your breakfast, the Hope is a sound bet.
06 Nov 2012
Came here on a Saturday night for a quick beer with the missus. The staff were disinterested and the whole place stank heavily of feet. The beer also tasted of feet (we had Kronenbourg but had to leave it, which I have never actually done before.)
02 Apr 2010
I paid a first visit to The Hope, midweek early evening. It has an attractive frontage, but the furniture inside is plain. The pub was busy enough, but not too crowded. They were a lively bunch, and seemed welcoming to a stranger. I tried an unfamiliar beer, Resevoir Dogs I think. It was perfectly acceptable, without being a knockout. £3.30 seemed a reasonable price for the area. The sandwiches looked inviting and I will certainly make a second visit, but I wouldn't mind if someone gave the young barman some wake-up pills.

94 Cowcross Street, Smithfield, London, EC1M 6BH