The Light, Shoreditch

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
Now saved from City developers, this former substation is located between the City and Hoxton, where you have a besuited, but often clamourous and ill-mannered, clientele imbibing in an artfully rendered post-industrial zone (or an empty substation if you're being honest). This is a clientele that often queues for the privilege. We're in the territory of style over comfort here with tables at such a height that you can't properly sit or stand at them. The service at the equally lofty bar can be pretty slow too. Certainly plenty of takers for the (pricey) fayre on offer on our visit, so the recession can't be with us just yet. If the thought of drinking in a mini-me version of Tate Modern with a late licence sounds appealing give it a try.
saved from...">
10 Sep 2011
Nasty, overpriced barn of a drinking factory, full of loud, mannerless young City 'suits' (and with a very unfavourable male/female ratio, when I visited). The only plus point was the presence of a few lesser-known wheat beers behind the bar (needless to say, there's no real ale). Generally speaking, one to avoid.
06 Jun 2008
Yesterday evening was possibly the best evening of the year so far in terms of weather. So it was not a huge shock to find that The Light, with a great garden patio area, was very busy. The building that this bar is in is also potentially great. However, I almost lost the will to live while waiting to be served at the bar. There was absolutley no sense of urgency on the part of the bar staff, of which there were plenty, but they were unorganised - for example standing next to the pump waiting for a Guiness to settle instead of getting on with the next drink or taking money from the customer. I waited approx. 30 minutes and would have left if it was not for the fact that I was getting a round for colleagues.

But the icing on the cake for me was the visit to the gents, which had been converted into an ‘office’ for the night, for a sad sad man who wanted to sell you hand towels, gum and aftershave. He’d even taken the paper towels out of the dispenser so you were forced to approach him for a towel. ‘Bog men’ are my pet hate! This is, afterall, an average bar, and not the Ritz.

I soon left, and will not be returning. A shame, as this could be a great summer venue.

233 Shoreditch High Street, Shoreditch, London, E1 6PJ