The Mitre, Holland Park

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (7 reviews)
The Mitre went gastro a good while ago - following a familiar pattern and becoming a typically "more food, less ale" sort of place and, subsequently, it appeared to have been suffering a bit of a decline. We'd steadily been getting more complaints about the place and, in particular, about the service. Well, that incarnation is now a thing of the past, the Mitre has recently had a change of management and a big refurb and we have to say the Mitre is much improved as a result. What you'll now find here is a bright, modern, comfortable and spacious place, still with a strong emphasis on food, but this time around the drink has not been forgotten. There are decent ales on the three hand pumps - eg Broadside and Spitfire - and plenty of other choice in the gas-pumped department including two rather good ciders. There's a reasonable wine list and, of course, the requisite cocktails and spirits. The service, on the admittedly quiet day when we last visited, was friendly and attentive and we didn't even need to go the bar to get our drinks. Prices are touch on the high side, but then it is, after all in Holland Park. It's the sort of place you'd naturally expect to see around here - we think the revamped Mitre will fit in this location very well indeed.
16 Sep 2010
Hi,

Im celebrated my 34 wedding anniversary on the 11th of this month.I met my husband out side the Mitre in 1976. He's an Aussie and being an Aussie he was waiting for the pub to open, when a taxi cantoning my flat mate Ann and myself stopped at the traffic lights. David (my hubby)and friend called to us to have a drink, and I said yes if your there when we get back. well he was and we did. As we left he asked to see me again, I said id love to but i had a boy friend, however he was leaving the country indefinitely with his job in 9 weeks, and I couldn't go out with him until he had left, as I did not two time. Any way 9 weeks later he rang, we dated and 3 months later we were married and in Australia. We now have two great kids Chris 27 and Steve 25 thanks Mitre.x
08 Sep 2010
Not a pub anymore, overpriced 'brasserie'. Too dark to read.
20 Apr 2010
Wow! What a transformation. Not so long ago this was a place to avoid. That has all changed. The menu is extensive and the food is extremely good, far better than your average gastro fare. Service is friendly and attentive and there is a real buzz about the place.
15 Apr 2010
I went to this pub a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I had a great time. I think it has recently been taken over my new management, as it looked totally different to the last time i was there about a year ago. I had the duck board as a starter and the seared tuna as a main, and they were both fantastic. We had to wait about 25 mins for the main, but it was a very busy night. The staff were fantastic and overall there was a real buzz in the place. Is got a great outdoor area which I can see will be great in the summer, but it was a little nippy when we were there! I will definitely we going back and recommend it if you fancy a brasserie style eatery rather than a traditional pub.
15 Apr 2010
I went to this pub a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I had a great time. I think it has recently been taken over my new management, as it looked totally different to the last time i was there about a year ago. I had the duck board as a starter and the seared tuna as a main, and they were both fantastic. We had to wait just over 20mins for the main, but it was a very busy night. The staff were fantastic and overall there was a real buzz in the place. Is got a great outdoor area which I can see will be great in the summer, but it was a little nippy when we were there! I will definitely we going back and recommend it if you fancy a brasserie style eatery rather than a traditional pub.
17 Jun 2009
After being recommended The Mitre by somebody (whom I have now lost all trust for) as a decent place to grab some good grub and a pint on a Sunday afternoon - I have to say I was utterly appalled by what we received.

The short, rude, little bald man//hobbit who I can only assume was the 'Governor' sat us down to our RESERVED table (reserved as it was a friends birthday - so was a bit of a special occasion), only for him to forcefully 'suggest' that we didn't split the bill, but that we "sort it out afterwards to save [him] the hassle".

We didn't have a problem with this at the time as we were sure the food and service was going to be good. We were wrong.

After waiting for over an hour for our food, with ZERO attempt from him to even acknowledge that we’d been waiting so long, the food started to arrive. I say STARTED because it took another half an hour for ALL of the meals to arrive at the table, with the final meals arriving well after the first person had finished theirs.

This is bad enough, but still he didn't even acknowledge us. No apology. Nothing.

In fairness the food was OKAY, apart from one - the Roast Beef; it was like eating an old handbag stuffed with the excess fat from Fern Cotton's thighs.

When we spoke of our disappointment to said Hobbit, he was disinterested at best - still no apology.

We asked for the bill – service was included.

There was no way were paying for 'service' which simply was non-existent. When we made 'Frodo' aware of this, his reply was shocking - "I didn't expect you too anyways! Youngsters never tip", whilst walking off with our money.

First off we're not youngsters, we all have professional jobs are would be MORE than happy to tip had the service been good. We may have been youngsters in his eyes simply as we hadn't quite required the need to start dying our beards yet, as he clearly had.

I'm not sure if this is a common hobbit trait or not, I'll look into it...

Avoid this horrible little man, and his ‘shire’ at all costs!

40 Holland Park Avenue, Holland Park, London, W11 3QY