The Ordnance, St. John's Wood

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
This is probably the poshest Sam Smith’s pub we've been to in a while. Apparently under new management (and after a bit of a refurb), the place was full of locals and visitors from hotels in the area. The pub’s pleasant enough and the two beer gardens are rightly popular in nice weather, being far enough away from the main road to limit the number of pollutants one has to ingest for the privilege. On a good note, the barman poured one pint and then decided there was something wrong with glass, not the beer! Excellent, and he was right - the Old Brewery was very nice and well kept. Good beer, smart staff and a good location, what more could you want? It’s close to Lord’s Cricket Goround, but far enough away to avoid the heaving multitudes on a match day. We’ll definitely be back.
18 May 2013
No Real Ale. When asked. No call for it!! Avoid
13 Aug 2012
Nice pub, rather quiet on a Saturday night. Food closes at 8.
20 Jun 2011
The above listed review is out of date. The Pub has, I believe, new ownership; at least the landlord talked of the renovation he had completed. The interior is spacious and Victorian, with a modern conservatory and a walled garden. The food is not bad (usual pubfare), and it is inexpensive. Many reviewers decry Sam Smith's pubs such as this one.
I really do not understand this. Compared to one of the pubs near Gloucester Rd., Sam Smith's pubs are much less expensive (one pint at the Hereford Arms cost me more that a pint and a half at the Ordnance), and as a stout drinker I prefer Smith's stout to Guinness and (heaven forbid) Murphy's. When visiting London, we stay in the Gloucester Rd. area; yet my "local" is a half hour's walk/tube/change lines/walk again trip away.
Although crowded and lively with the after-work crowd between 5 and 8:30, I prefer the pub in the afternoon when I can have lunch, then kick back with a couple of stouts and a stack of London newspapers, and relax in peace and quiet. Oh, and one last but important thing: the restrooms are clean.

29 Ordnance Hill, St. John's Wood, London, NW8 6PS