The Prince, Stoke Newington

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
After condemning the Prince in our last review, we're pleased that a recent refurb has generally improved things. It still feels like a cozy old boozer with its heart ripped out, but a new colour scheme has calmed things down somewhat. The tasteless zinc covered bar remains, but is looking less awful than it used to and the outside space, although fine, is claustrophobic and soulless, with overhead flower boxes filled with wilting ivy, weeds and dead plants. As usual, distressed floorboards and tatty furniture are here to help give trendy locals the impression they're slumming it in a tatty back-street boozer, when in reality they're in a gastropub which charges over Ł11 for Sausage and Mash. On tap, there's the omnipresent Greene King and London Pride, but making up for this unimaginative selection is a superb range of ciders, indicating the old drink's continuing revival. How much you like the Prince is probably dictated by your opinions on gastropubdom, but suffice to say Stokey isn't short of excellent - and cheaper - pubs and restaurants.
29 Jan 2012
A pub in Islington cancelled our wedding reception 4 days before we were due to hold it! We were devastated but amazingly, The Prince stepped in at the last minute. The staff were incredible and so accommodating to all the plans we'd already made. We had a better evening than we could have ever imagined and all of our guests absolutely loved the pub. An excellent choice of beer and we've been back to sample the Sunday roasts and they've been amazing. Just couldn’t recommend this pub any higher.
29 Jan 2012
A pub in Islington cancelled our wedding reception 4 days before we were due to hold it! We were devastated but amazingly, The Prince stepped in at the last minute. The staff were incredible and so accommodating to all the plans we'd already made. We had a better evening than we could ever imagined and all of our guests absolutely loved the pub. An excellent choice of beer and we've been back to sample the Sunday roasts and they've been amazing. Just couldn’t recommend this pub any higher.
19 Jul 2010
I have been going to this pub for a number of years and at first i found the food to be excellant with lots of people and a great atmosphere, on the last 2 occassions I went there I was so disappointed, I took 2 friends yesterday for lunch- OMG what a disappointment it was- was embarassing to my friends. I had chicken pate which was 2 dollops of pate thrown on a plate that resembled nothing like pate, my friend had smoked salmon which was a few small strips of salmon, we all had roast lamp, meat was white , fatty, cold and tasteless, yorkshire puddings were cold and soggy, roast potatoes were cold, all veg was luke warm and tasteless, even the gravy was cold. I dont know what the total bill was but I do know that service charge was added- what a cheek. I will never go to this pub again, what has happened to the people that used to go, beer garden was empty and only a handful of people at lunch time yesterday. What a great disappointment , the menu is overpriced for the rubbish that is served, service was slow, never never agin.

Christine
05 Oct 2008
We have visited The Prince a couple of times before but after today's Sunday lunch, I have promised myself not to return. I was never able to put my finger on what was missing, until now.

Happily Stoke Newington has a glut of excellent eateries and a person would therefore assume each establishment would try a little harder to vie for custom. This place seems to rely on its back street cosy location and faux gastro pub status with funky metallic bar (damp - use a cloth!) and thinks it doesn't have to do much else to attract business.

The food wasn't outstanding but palatable, although the portions big. The vegetables seemed microwaved and my friend thought her sausages were bland, but the gravy and the crispy roast potatoes were delicious. All in all average fayre really.

The main problem for me, were the staff. Two of them especially displaying a certain well-honed aloof manner, and bordering on offensive indifference in our being there. This crescendo-ed on my paying the (over-priced) bill. The 'Thank you' was uttered but I was stared right through with a chilling lack of human interaction.

The staff coupled with the sterile atmosphere and bland choice in music (I am from originally from Liverpool and tremendously proud of my heritage, but there is only so much back to back Beatles even I can take) made my mind up never to return.

I say save yourself a few pennies and go somewhere warmer in atmosphere and marginally cheaper like the Londesborough or the Daniel Defoe where the manager cracks a joke as he pours your pint.

59 Kynaston Road, Stoke Newington, London, N16 0EB