The Princess, Old Street

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
So this may be bordering on Gastro and perhaps not a stand out from the crowd, but it was a good pub, well run, responsive and friendly staff and the food was excellent - fish and chips in particular. Ales 'on' when we were there were ELB and Meantime - well kept and served.
Only issue was the pricing which was the steep side of a lot. Also the advertising of Lebanese wine was a little bit...what? Precious?
This is a good pub with very good food and if it were a little more of a pub then would be bordering on a '5'. Well done and keep it going - especially with the locally source ales.
07 Nov 2012
Outstanding lunch - two courses for £15.00 were excellent quality as was the a la carte, great service - attentive without being over bearing, good selection of wines by the glass, carafe or bottle to suit all tastes and budgets. I just love old pubs that have moved with the times - this ticks all the boxes. Will return just as soon as I can.
23 Dec 2011
Redcat must have got out of the wrong side of bed on the day he wrote this review. I don't know how much has changed in the last four years - certainly there was no nightmare-inducing wallpaper in sight - but what we found was a perfectly decent "one time old boozer gone upmarket", and what's wrong with that? On a Thursday close to christmas we were lucky enough to get a table and avoid the herds of braying yahoos that every other pub nearby seemed to be full of. We didn't try the food but a decent beer selection - on our visit they had Wandle, Adnam's Yuletide, and an excellent ELB Pale Ale - and crucially, music that wasn't at an ear-insultingly loud volume means I would be more than happy to return here. It may be remarkably similar to numerous places dotted around North London, but I would be happy to visit those places too. Not every pub can be a shining jewel of uniqueness, merely creating a decent drinking environment is enough to aspire too, and this place hit the bullseye for me.

76 Paul Street, Old Street, London, EC2A 4NE