The Roebuck, Richmond

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (2 reviews)
Fresh from a refit, the Roebuck is once again open for business. The pubs on the river front pull in most of Richmond's drinkers, so if you're after a quieter boozer, stroll up the hill to The Roebuck - it's worth the walk for the panoramic view of the surrounding area. Woods, grassland and the Thames curling round - it's one of the finest views in London and you get it from outside this decent boozer. Glad to report, the refit was more of a general tidy up than regeneration (though it's a shame to see the bar billiard table has disappeared from its old spot). Still, this one's still a genial and down-to-earth affair: descriptions that aren't usually applied to the watering holes of Richmond. (New picture to come).
19 Jul 2010
After a good walk through Richmond Park, this pub is the best place to head for (especially if you can leave your car within the park as parking is a bit limited. Used to be my Granddad's favourite boozer waaay back and I felt a little disappointed when I walked in. Lots of typical pub furnishings and a bit lifeless. Then I spotted the 4 ales on offer (Pride, Beartown's Peach Melbear, Downton's Elderquad and a zingy Weissbier) and everything started to come together nicely. The beers were well kept and the service was very friendly, especially as the barman was forever having to cross the road outside to collect glasses from pretty much all of the customers who head there to enjoy the view of the Thames in the flatland below. Great location, food looked pretty good (and reasonably priced) and some unusual (for pubs) music on the juke box. Could probably do with more of a choice of session ales but I feel i'd be short-changing these guys a tad if i gave them a 3-pint rating, even though I think 4 could be generous. A debatable one but well worth it. And it's not full of the types who are far more at home in the centre of Richmond.

130 Richmond Hill, Richmond, London, TW10 6RN