The Rose, Vauxhall

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
With an exterior painted in an agreeable shade of green and complete with great views over the Thames, The Rose is certainly charming from the outside. Shame, then, that the interior was something of a disappointment. Don't get us wrong, it's still a pleasant enough place - veering somewhere between an attempt at the 'continental' look and a trendy bar - but we have to say it isn't particularly inspiring; the upstairs is more relaxed, but also more popular and harder to find a seat. We also spied an eating area at the back, which happily caters for the local office workers who have pretty scant choice locally, but the lack of ales was a bit of a disappointment. It also seemed very loud, but we're not sure if the problem was the clientele or the acoustics. All of that said, it's perfectly fine if you happen to work nearby or want a rest while taking a stroll along the river, but unfortunately the adjective which kept running across our minds was 'underwhelming'.
26 Jun 2009
Our group was treated with utter contempt by the managers. Despite plenty of telephone conversations letting them know when the size of our group shrunk, our agreement to pay a booking fee for the space, and keeping in touch with them about the details, as soon as my party of 40 people began to arrive we were asked to leave because "we're not going to make enough money from you." Nothing could justify their rudeness, total refusal to compromise or negotiate any reasonable solution (all they would say to my every suggerstion is "you have to leave") and their eventual refusal even to let our guests know about the new location we had moved to. I was appalled and would discourage anyone from having anything to do with these psychos.
26 Jun 2009
I strongly advise against going to this pub. The staff completely screwed up the booking for the group with which I was attending. When the person who had made the reservation tried to explain that we had agreed to pay a flat fee to reserve a room and not to guarantee a minimum drinks order by the group, the staff demanded that we leave. As I was waiting on the pavement outside to tell latecomers that the group had gone elsewhere, a member of staff came out and threatened me with violence unless I moved to the other side of the street.

35 Albert Embankment, Vauxhall, London, SE1 7TL