The Ship, Soho

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (10 reviews)
Apart from the odd lick of paint here and there, this pub has not changed much over the years. No bad thing in this area, where you only have to turn round for ten seconds and yet another style bar has opened up to cater for the media luvvies. A good, solid pub - the beer's excellent and with the eclectic music on the PA (a bit on the heavy side for some tastes, but we like it) and a good atmosphere any time of the day, it's definitely a pub to seek out.
27 Jul 2014
Chavvy and inbred looking clientele
27 Jul 2014
We were a group of 9 lads, ok I get it not many bars would want such a group. We are not a rowdy bunch, far from it. Last night we went into the ship and were refused drinks because of the size of our group. The pub was half empty so I was baffled when we were refused drinks, all we wanted was a quick one to wet the whistle. The staff weren't rude just stupid. One thing I did notice was the clientele was a little chavvy and slightly inbred looking, I will certainly avoid in the future.
09 Jul 2012
2nd visit to the Ship, first time on a Friday night tho. Was quite busy, but got served quickly and got a seat. Music was more of an indie vibe than last time (Stone Roses, Pulp, Charlatans), but having said that we didn't stay for long so it may have changed later. Would give 3 1/2 if could award half marks!
05 Mar 2012
Not really sure why this pub scores 4 out of 5. Don't get me wrong, it is quite good, but the best feature is the music - AC/DC and Sabbath when I was in there. Otherwise 2 out of 5 at best. Easy to find though, and very fast service
01 Sep 2010
Somersetchris - thanks for your review, although your opinions tell me more about you than the pub (let's hope you're not the landlord). Hopefully the pub's not full of people with such misjudged opinions as yours. Since when has a group of friends from an appreciation society been a stag do or bunch of pub crawlers? Very funny. Still I guess you were busy judging them based on the clothes they were wearing.
08 Aug 2010
I am very pleased to hear that American Beerwolf and his dozen friends were not welcome in the Ship. The Ship is a small pub that does not need hen, stag or any large group of pubcrawlers in there. As to wearing suits and ties, bankers and estate agents wear suits and ties. Can I recommend Wetherspoons to you.

The Ship deserves the four pint rating and I think it should have five. It serves fantastically well kept ales by friendly and efficient barstaff. No one ever waits more than a couple of minutes to be served. It is a rock pub and if you do not like rock, do not go there. It is probably one of the last few real pubs left.
16 Apr 2010
Went in with about a dozen friends from the architecture appreciation society last evening and was refused service because I had more than 5 in my group. It was the first time I have ever been denied service in 9 years of touring of London pubs with our society. I'm in a suit and tie as were most of my group and Duncan the bar manager says it's their policy not to serve groups. Absolutely amazing that he didn't want our business so we just went on to the Nellie Dean of Soho around the corner where they were more than happy to pour us pints. Not a place I'll ever be returning to.
18 Feb 2009
This stuff about the hand made signs makes me think that there must be so little authority in that place....it confirms what i thought when i saw someone who i think was the owner/"manager" giving a very public(not at all discreet) earful to the unfortunate girl who served me. If this girl had done anything wrong, she should have at least been talked to privately about whatever misdemeanor it was, not in front of the whole clientele. Really shabby in every respect. Refer to my earlier review if you still need convincing that this place is a catastrophe
18 Feb 2009
Don’t understand why this place gets 4 pints.

I went there on Monday evening after work, and the place stank of stale booze, with heavy rock music blasting from the speakers.

They also had these bizarre hand made signs up around the place telling customers just what the staff and owners think about the local council.

I won’t be back in a hurry.

116 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1F 0TT