The Star Tavern, Belgravia

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (5 reviews)
Some would have you think (wrongly, we believe) that the Great Train Robbers supped here whilst pondering their cunning plan, but the Star Tavern doesn't need hackneyed gangster chic to attract the punters. Being small on the small side and located in a mews at the back of a number of large embassies, it's not the place for a rowdy night out. But what you do get is a good selection of well-kept Fullers ales and traditional pub food, served up by attentive staff who seem genuinely chuffed that you're frequenting their pub. The clientele is more mixed than many of the other boozers in the area - and the punters' accents hint at their work locations, it's also one of the few pubs in the area open at the weekend. Other attractions include a lovely upstairs bar and possibly the smallest gents toilets in London. It can be a bit of a trek finding this place, and it can fill up rapidly, but it's definitely worth the effort.
15 Nov 2011
The ale here has been consistently good on my visits over the past weeks, and staff friendly. As mentioned, a good place to relax and ponder life, if that's your thing...
03 Oct 2011
Very good pub located in a mew of Belgravia. When I visited I enjoyed very quiet with good ale and good company. A place to return.
27 Feb 2010
If you enjoy a quiet afternoon pint, reading the newspapers or talking to friends, the Star Tavern is an excellent choice. There are no distractions inside or out. The beer is good, service from the young staff is prompt, though in my experience a little detached. The sandwiches are good value (for Belgravia), while the hot food is very very popular at lunchtime.
06 May 2008
Although I haven't visited the Star as yet I did want to say that this was indeed frequented by at least one great train robber. Bruce Reynolds in his 'Autobiography of a Thief' states that he was a frequent visitor here. As was Diana Dors and a number of senior police officers from the nearby Belgravia Police Station.

I'll let you know about the beer once I've got out of chokey ;o)

6 Belgrave Mews West, Belgravia, London, SW1X 8HT