The Star, St. John's Wood

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 5 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
The Star is a good example of how pubs used to be. The frosted windows may put off some of the more well-to-do NW8 locals, but inside it's a charming regulars pub in an area which, on the surface, can seem somewhat lacking. The central bar's layout creates some interesting nooks and crannies and with the metal trellis gantry, it was all very 1970s. We also noticed a reoccurring theme of stars (as a nod towards the pub's name) and a bizarre portrait of an Admiral, but with the head of a West Highland Terrier. Meanwhile in the corner, the footy results were shown in Ceefax. Top marks for that. Apart from the cheery barmaid, the clientele was predominantly male on our visit, but thankfully friendly enough not to be uncomfortable for Redcat's female companion. The only ale is Pride (unless you include Worthington) but kept well enough. Despite a recent refurbishment which has introduced some ugly Ikea style tables not in keeping with hthe rest of the place, this is a pub we thoroughly enjoy spending time in.
20 Dec 2013
Save the Star! This is yet another fabulous, old-school pub under threat from bullying developers. Go in and have a pint, ask the great landlady what you can do to help and write to the local MP; Karen Buck, buckk@parliament.uk to urge her for support. We can't afford to lose yet another great pub like this.
27 Sep 2011
I would broadly agree with Mr Red Cat. I don't think Pride is the only Ale though as when Flowers went under (I think) I recommended the very proper landlady replace with Deuchars, which I have enjoyed there since. The refurb didn't opt for the best tables but overall they did great job of renewing rather than replacing the pub's interior, so it retained its character - and characters - minus the smelly carpet and plus some "Someone & Someone"-type hand soap. And I think dog freindly is stretching it... it's very much at their discretion! As basically the only nice pub west of Primrose Hill before you hit the Warwick Castle (a cruelly long walk by anyone's standards), they're doing a great job!

St. Johns Wood Terrace, St. John's Wood, London, NW8 6LS