The Thomas Cubitt, Sloane Square

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
It's always heartening to see a pub trying this hard, and it's obvious from the popularity of the place with the locals and visitors alike that they're succeeding at what they do. It's funny how quickly the standard of things change as you leave the tatty hotels and cheap shops clustered around Victoria Station - this place is a more upmarket and as such, is probably more bar than pub. But that notwithstanding, the staff are friendly and efficient - and when it's overcrowded the fact they do table service is fantastic. The atmosphere is pretty frenetic of an evening, but it's still possible to converse with your friends - like everyone else is doing. Cocktails are available, as is well-kept beer and a good selection of mostly European wine. Now that they've been open for more than a year, a lot of things have bedded in, making it an efficient operation and a pleasure to go to. They've also dispensed with a lot of the frou-frou stuff that seems to stick to places that want to be gastrodomes: sausage and mash is now called sausage and mash, possibly a sign that the chef's comfortable with the food he's serving now. And, thank god, all the tables on the ground floor are available in the evenings for drinking (you can still order food, it's just not expected). The food is pretty good, with their organic beef burger being our particular favourite. You can get sandwiches and fish and chips alongside that steak, so they are trying to appeal to pubgoers. While this isn't a cosy old boozer - more of a restaurant really, it's still a pretty good place to go.
03 Dec 2009
The Thomas Cubitt has great atmosphere. Superb venue to take good friends for a treat. I agree this is not a pub but a restaurant. That said, the beer on tap is well maintained and of good quality. Great to see Deuchars IPA on tap. Gets very busy lunchtimes & evenings. Good food & welcoming service. Pricing is high but the area is surrounded but £3M plus town houses so it's bound to be expensive. Recommend the fish and chips. Worth a visit but bring loads of cash.
05 May 2009
Popped into the Cubitt a few times while in Belgravia, and even though it took a while for me to get seated, as the place is more often packed than not, I must admit it was worth the wait.

The draught is just right and the wine I had the last time I was there was heavenly (recommended by the waitress). There is no standing bar, but once seated it's hard to resist some of the food on the menu. I can easily say that I have enjoyed every meal there so far.
26 Oct 2008
I was there on a Sunday lunchtime recently. True, it's a nice place but let's be clear: it is a restaurant with a beer tap - a pub is most certainly is not. You can't buy drinks at the 'bar'; waiting staff take your order and serve you at a table. Which accounts for the optional 12.5% service charge on your bill. £8.16 for an Adnams and a Kronenbourg ?!!? Pur-LEEEZE! Fine if you want cuisine and Bloody-Marys with the Sloanes but a boozer? No way.

44 Elizabeth Street, Belgravia, London, SW1W 9PA