The Vanbrugh, Greenwich

Our rating: FAP Rating 3 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
Marketing itself as Greenwich's Best Kept Secret, The Vanburgh follows through on some of its promises even though the outside could do with some sprucing up. Inside there's a mix of pub, dining room and a marquee-style lounge room along with a surprisingly big garden out back that's perfect for a summer pint. The friendly staff offer up all the requisite drinks including the liveliest Stella we've ever seen and if you're hungry, the food is top-drawer - try the pies and prepare to swoon. Throw in live sports and this is a solid local even if the toilets, while suitably shiny, are Lilliputian in girth.
17 Jul 2011
After moving to the area and having The Vanbrugh as my nearest local, I was keen to check it out and support the local pub.

The first time I went the service was not particularly welcoming and slightly indifferent though the menu had a nice range of food, the interior is furnished really well and the food served was fine.

I thought I'd give it another go and took a couple of friends there for the Sunday roast. Unfortunately, the service was again not particularly welcoming and this time indifferent and at times dismissive. We ordered the slightly pricey roast lamb which was actually really nice but it was'nt until it was brought to us that we were informed that they had run out of mint sauce. When asked how the meal was and saying that it was good apart from no mint sauce we were told it was because they had been so busy (though you'd think for such a basic but necessary condiment they would have a reasonable stock of it). If we'd known beforehand we probably would have ordered a different type of roast. When we then went to order crumble we were also told they had run out and overall the lack of friendliness and manner of the waitress was disappointing.

It would be better if you could get the the lawn/garden out the back of the pub which is behind a wooden gated fence, but unfortunately you cant at the moment, apparently due to planning permission problems.

Lastly, unless you want to be surrounded by yummy mummies and daddies with their babies talking about babies, n*pples, br*stfeeding and puke, then I'd avoid going there on a Sunday afternoon when it's busy (or perhaps look out for the large crowd with prams and mini-me's and make sure you try and find another table elsewhere in the pub).

The Vanbrugh tout themselves as the best kept secret in Greenwich, but reading the reviews I think the best kept secret is that it's not that amazing.
13 Jun 2010
Used to spend a lot of time in the Vanbrugh years ago and still love the location and the garden. the pub has changed a lot, now being a sports bar with a dining area. very popular lunch venue among the local young families.

Went there today, and was very disappointed to notice that they tried to overcharge my tab. Two drinks worth nearly £8 were on the tab - never bought, however the staff took this off the bill as we explained we never ordered these drinks.

The atmosphere now seems to be very family orientated, good for the young families living around the area.

Another disappointment was to notice that they close the garden at 9.30 pm - they say it is to respect their neighbours - but it is a real shame not to be able to sit outside in the garden on a lovely summer night!
08 May 2008
I visited the Vanbrugh a couple of weeks ago. It was recommended to me by a close friend who lives nearby. I took a group of my collegues and we were all increadibly impressed by the place. The food, atmosphere, decor, serice and beer garden were all of the highest standard which led to a very relaxed and enjoyable enjoyable evening. I will certainly be going there again as it is in my opinion one of the best places to eat and drink south of the Thames.

91 Colomb Street, Greenwich, London, SE10 9EZ