The Winchester, Islington

Our rating: FAP Rating 2 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Community Rating 1 - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (4 reviews)
With the unimaginatively titled, 'Bar & Dining House' a distant memory The Winchester has settled into being one of Essex Road's less frenetic bars, compared say, to the perpetually rammed Old Queen's Head. Agrarian style old floorboards have been nailed to the walls, creating a look not dissimilar to the nearby 'Elk in the Woods' and on the evening we visited, the food and cocktail menus looked interesting enough and were tagged at the usual Essex Road prices. Musically, they were playing it safe with pleasant but unexciting middle-of-the-road music, but perhaps the DJ Bar in the basement may have served up something more challenging later. Incidentally, the very same basement also offers up a free post-ironic Monday night film club (Transformers, anyone?). We can't imagine their description of being a 'boozing lounge' will impress Daily Mail readers much, but the twenty somethings lounging on the leather sofas seemed happy enough.
22 Apr 2013
Went here for a birthday meal on a recent Sunday -
The service was absolutely crud and the food wasn't much better.
At one point we had to order the same round of drinks 3 times before they were actually made.
The staff really didn't seem to care and we were told a manager would be in after 4pm but that manager never arrived.
We were told the sunday beef was cooked medium rare/medium but it was way over done.
Half the party including ate their food without drinks and when we asked for them to be taken off the bill we were told they would only remove soft drinks.
When the table was booked online no-one from the pub called us to confirm as indicated, instead we had to call twice to check we had a table. And when we called to get our deposit back and asked why it hasn't been automatically returned, we were told it's the customer's responsibility to get the deposit back.
This is a pub which is only after your money and doesn't give a hoot about customer service
12 Mar 2010
I defiantly disagree, It has improved loads recently and I went there on Sunday and me and my friend had a veggie and a lamb roast and it was so good and the perfect amount for my Sunday morning tummy! It was very busy but all the staff were really friendly and bought over our bloody mary's promptly, which made us very happy!!!
18 Oct 2009
I have to disagree with the below [possibly out of date] review, I have visited The Winchester since its latest refurbishment and was pleasantly surprised at the high standard of food, after all this is a pub not a restaurant and the food was great.

I have eaten a roast here on a Sunday before and couldn't fault it, and it was only £12.95 for two.

I recently tried the a la carte menu and it was amazing. I had wild mushroom ravioli to start and the sea bass for mains, both were cooked perfectly and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Lovely wine list and friendly staff.

2 Essex Road, Islington, London, N1 8LN